OP
OP
cloakerpoked

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger they are the more they can rely on the zooathanthelle in their mantles for growth. Smaller ones need to filter feed more. I have kept 4-6 inch clams and found them more resilient than some sps, but not sure if that is normal. I am starting phytofeast for the clam and corals.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I love bi-color blennies because of their cute personalities. The clownfish look nice.

I have been wanting another clam too but ever since last year when I lost the ORA clam I got from LA, I have been gun shy. It was doing great and then in 2 days it died. I am wondering if it had vermin snails? Yours is a pretty clam, where did you get it?

OP
OP
cloakerpoked

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nemo's Reef.

Clams are definitely not the easiest and as I said, the smaller they are the more they need to filter feed but that can mess with nitrate.

I ordered a cheap dosing setup on Amazon today. I will be able to automate the dosing to the tank which should make it easier to keep my levels consistent. I get a pretty decent pH swing (.2ish) when I dose alk, so spreading that out will be very helpful.

I mostly wanted the Blenny to eat some of the algae. Using chemipure as well to try to absorb the extra phosphates.

OP
OP
cloakerpoked

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, clams tend to die slowly at first. Good signs (not guarantees) of a healthy clam are high responsiveness to light change (they should flinch at your shadow) and a clean white growth plate on the lip of the shells. If it doesn’t look crisp white, the clam isn’t growing and that is always a bad sign. Gaping too far open is also bad.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back