25 gallon peninsula

CoryEaster23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 25 gallon peninsula and was wondering if the chamber that has the return pump is supposed to be almost to the top full of water or shoul I see a waterfall. I'll post a video for better explanation. Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• received_870957986880681.mp4
    2.5 MB

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it actually matters really. BUT, you'd want a waterfall coming down the walls to help with gas exchange. However, if the waterfall is too high, you can get micro bubbles in your display, which might be problem to you visually.
I have a similar tank as yours and my "waterfall" is about 2 - 3 inches.

OP
OP
CoryEaster23

CoryEaster23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it actually matters really. BUT, you'd want a waterfall coming down the walls to help with gas exchange. However, if the waterfall is too high, you can get micro bubbles in your display, which might be problem to you visually.
I have a similar tank as yours and my "waterfall" is about 2 - 3 inches.
So do you think adding water closer to the actual return is not supposed to be the right way or should I add water

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Innovate Marine 20 gallon peninsula. When I first fired it up, I overfilled the tank without knowing. There's not a lot of room back there, and a small change in overall tank level will make a big difference in the levels in the rear chambers - especially the one with the return pump. If it's overfilled - all three chambers in the back will have the same water level. If it's properly filled, there will be a cascading waterfall in the back chambers. I keep mine so that the chambers just barely overflow into the next - about 1/2 an inch or so.

The tank ran overfilled just fine with two exceptions. 1) minor, but you are that much closer to an accident overflowing water onto your floor. 2) more significant in my opinion, you lose the skimming effect at the surface. I found even the smallest waterfall effect traps surface particles and sucks them into the filtration and keeps them there. When everything is the same level - surface gunk never left the display and over time I had a nasty film build up. Once I fixed my level, that gunk was cleaned up in hours.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, what Kongar said is correct. You want the water level in the return section to be lower than the other chambers so that the water keeps flowing through the sump > display > sump > display and so on. You did it correctly, but I would just add a bit more water to the system..less chance of micro bubbles, and gives you more time to react if your ATO fails.
But just make sure that when you add more water, the level in the return is lower than the other chambers like Kongar said.

OP
OP
CoryEaster23

CoryEaster23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, what Kongar said is correct. You want the water level in the return section to be lower than the other chambers so that the water keeps flowing through the sump > display > sump > display and so on. You did it correctly, but I would just add a bit more water to the system..less chance of micro bubbles, and gives you more time to react if your ATO fails.
But just make sure that when you add more water, the level in the return is lower than the other chambers like Kongar said.
How much more would you add. Like above the waterfall or rite under it?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a cup or two. You can add water directly to the display and it will increase the level in the sump. If it increases to much, just a remove a some until you get the water level you think is best.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back