25 moorish idols

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't. But moorish Idols do that in captivity. In 4 or 5 years they just waste away, lose weight and die for no apparent reason. I don't think anyone has kept them for their entire lifespan in a home tank. :confused:

They are voracious eaters so that is not the problem. But in the sea they graze all day on dying algae and sponge, foods we can't provide at home.

If these animals have such a high metabolism than perhaps 4-5 years is their life expectancy?

I find it a little hard to believe that the failure rate is due to a missing ingredient in their diet. At the end of the day we provide them with all the ingredients that is required to make up the body of a fish (clearly they grow in captivity) so it may come down to a naturally short life span combined with extreme sensitivity to the shipping process. And most people don’t QT.

Or I could be totally wrong.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And most people don’t QT.
I am not sure what they are missing but the diet they eat is unlike all other fish. Most fish don't live on sponges and dying algae like they do. Also, quarantine would shorten the lifespan of fish, not lengthen it.

Moorish Idols don't seem to be very delicate fish and I have never seen a sick one. They are very common and in many places they are the only fish left on dying reefs where all other fish are gone.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what they are missing but the diet they eat is unlike all other fish. Most fish don't live on sponges and dying algae like they do. Also, quarantine would shorten the lifespan of fish, not lengthen it.

Moorish Idols don't seem to be very delicate fish and I have never seen a sick one. They are very common and in many places they are the only fish left on dying reefs where all other fish are gone.
They do seem to have a different diet to other fish. I wander whether or not there is any particular ingredient that we are not covering in our offerings or it could be a digestive issue due to incorrect texture. Perhaps the texture of sponge helps their bowel movements. I’m honestly just thinking out loud.

In regards to QT I understand your position on this. In fact I was a follower until I was introduced to Mr. Velvet. Whether or not QT reduces or increases the future captive life span of a fish depends on the individual fishes ailments or lack there of and of course the method of QT and whether or not (or what type) medications are used. I could make arguments either way. Personally QT using the Hybrid TTM method with minimal medication (no copper!) has worked great for me and offers peace of mind and in my opinion is the courteous thing to do for the lives of my existing live stock.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have followed many Idols in the sea and in the South Pacific al I saw them eat is a lime green sponge. One of them (Male?) would swim long distances to find the sponge and the mate would follow a few minutes later and the first one will go and look for more.

In Hawaii like here. All you see is bare rock and urchins. The Idols eat the "mulm" on the rocks and little more. I am not sure what nutrition they get from that but you see no other fish in those areas.

Maybe their lifespan is only 6 or 7 years but I doubt it. They are a species of their own and not the same as butterflies even though they look like them.

They love this stuff

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have followed many Idols in the sea and in the South Pacific al I saw them eat is a lime green sponge. One of them (Male?) would swim long distances to find the sponge and the mate would follow a few minutes later and the first one will go and look for more.

In Hawaii like here. All you see is bare rock and urchins. The Idols eat the "mulm" on the rocks and little more. I am not sure what nutrition they get from that but you see no other fish in those areas.

Maybe their lifespan is only 6 or 7 years but I doubt it. They are a species of their own and not the same as butterflies even though they look like them.

They love this stuff

Great insight Paul. It’s hard to even know what that brown stuff is. Looks like a mix of sponge, detritus and who knows how many micro organisms. When I saw these at Sea World in Australia (where I live) there were 100’s of idols in their big outdoor and indoor displays. The displays are for other larger animals and the Idols were ‘fillers’. But I did notice that the tanks looked horrible being overgrown with hair algae. So whilst there was probably no sponge in these systems they were quite filthy with a lot of algae and I’m sure the larger animals would have been fed a high protein diet. The Idols were huge and fat though. Perhaps I should call them and ask if they still house Idols any if they have any info on their requirements.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back