250w or 150w HQI....

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin to stick an HQI over a 60 cube (24x24x24), not sure if I wanna go 250w or 150w, here's why. With it being supplemented by 4 HOT5's, 2-ATI Blue Plus Actinics and 2 GE6500k and the MH will be a Phoenix 14k on mag ballast. Just not sure if I need a 250w or not? My thought is with the supplemented HOT5 (tekII reflectors) the 150w + T5's should be sufficient light. However I know solo I wouldnt dare run just a 150w over an SPS dominant tank thats 24" deep.

Any thoughts? Would 150 be fine or should I not chance it and just go all out with the 250w? (either way it will be a Magnetic ballast with a Phoenix 14k bulb, I just LOVE that color out of them)

OP
OP
alvieman

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a side note my first instinct is to run with the 250 as this will be almost totally SPS, i want full light penetration to the bottom.

Just lookin for others thoughts on the matter :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would 100% go for the 250w light. Do you have a canopy?

OP
OP
alvieman

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a lot of woodworking and can custom make one no prob. I will have 4 fans in it regardless, unless i find a STEAL on a fixture, i will be making my own canopy as I already have all the T5's i would need to supplement and hard to add those into a fixture :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
250 SE w/ radium 20k!

LOL! That is the exact reason I ask! I was going to say to do a 250w Radium. You will be glad you did!

Ultimateaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Geisemann fixture with 4 x T5's (2 x actinic, 2 x blue) and two DE250 Phoenix bulbs on a 120 Gallon. IMO it looks about the same as a Radium 400 Watt. (which I ran for years on larger systems). Very intense light, and I have excellent color/growth. You won't get the spread you could get with a single end 400 in a Luminarc type reflector though. I wouldn't bother with the 150watt.

OP
OP
alvieman

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really think i should go SE over DE? Any reasons behind that or just personnal preference? I've ran both in the past, had better growth and luck with the DE but was a better setup than the SE was.

PS def confirmed it will be 250w :) Just gotta decide on the ballast/reflector/bulb now lol Was sold on the Phoenix 14k as i had that in the past and have seen MANY excellant tanks with it. Just curious what else is recommended. I have the T5's for supplementation no prob as I already own 3 sets of 2 lol So i have 6 HOT5's ready to go. Only using 4 tho for supplement, just need the main bulb now :)

OP
OP
alvieman

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats so good bout the radium? which ballast is recommended for it? mag or e? Not a lot of room so would prolly have to do a retro. How blue is this? Really didnt wanna get a full blown 20k bulb lol

OP
OP
alvieman

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But WHHYYY lol Any tank pix with this bulb over it?? I wanna know how blue I'm goin here? Anyone got a link to the PAR on this? Does Sanjay have this one tested? (i'll have to check i guess lol)

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on an m80 ballast the Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density was tested to be at 85 ppfd, the light will make all of your corals pop and there is more than enough par to grow your them as well...the color is more of a crisp blue, when I say that I mean it is not too blue in the least bit

Last edited:
OP
OP
alvieman

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern really is just the initial cost for it too, the PPFD on a Phoenix 14k on an IceCap E-Ballast is 90, which is significantly less in cost and doesnt drive the bulb as hard, increasing bulb life. A nice crisp blue as well for quite a bit less ($230+S&H for ballast, retro reflector and bulb). The PFO M80 setup would be about $325+S&H.

I really wanna stick with a 12-20k bulb, preferably 14k or 12k. Unless 20k on a Magnetic ballast. 10K PAR is through the roof but thats too white for me, even tho I do have actinics at my disposal, I would prefer to use the T5's as asupplement, not a neccessity.

What else makes the Radium exceptional? Not tryin to talk it down or anything I just want to understand is all. :) Everyone has their preferences and there's no "right or wrong" answers, i just want to get as much info as I can before droppin a coupla hundred on the lighting.

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern really is just the initial cost for it too, the PPFD on a Phoenix 14k on an IceCap E-Ballast is 90, which is significantly less in cost and doesnt drive the bulb as hard, increasing bulb life. A nice crisp blue as well for quite a bit less ($230+S&H for ballast, retro reflector and bulb). The PFO M80 setup would be about $325+S&H.

I really wanna stick with a 12-20k bulb, preferably 14k or 12k. Unless 20k on a Magnetic ballast. 10K PAR is through the roof but thats too white for me, even tho I do have actinics at my disposal, I would prefer to use the T5's as asupplement, not a neccessity.

What else makes the Radium exceptional? Not tryin to talk it down or anything I just want to understand is all. :) Everyone has their preferences and there's no "right or wrong" answers, i just want to get as much info as I can before droppin a coupla hundred on the lighting.

from what I have read it just seems to get the best growth to look ratio out of all the setups. I am gonna run somthing similar on whatever tank i set up as a big one. I am in the planning stages of a big build and 20k radiums are a key feature to what i wanna set up. that 20k will not need any suppliment at all from any fixture. with that 250watt 20k you will have all the light you would ever need.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is two of them over my 120g.

ftsjuly08.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev's, 143Gadgets, surfn, and myself are a few of I know that's running the 20k Radium.. I ran mine with an Icecap electronic ballasts... :)

check out our tank threads for pics... :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If they are overdriven then they don't last as long from what I understand. I have mine on an ARO 250w MH Ballast and it works like a champ!

OP
OP
alvieman

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank Rehv, i just think thats a lil blue/dark for my taste. I like em a bit brighter :) Still leanin towards Phoenix 14k atm, wouldnt mind seeing a 20k Radium in person though, anyone close to Bay City/Midland/Saginaw?

However Marv's tank looks nice n bright, maybe its just the pic? Bleh, so many options!!!!!

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 62 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.4%
Back