EXPERTS ON UV FLOW

nova918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so im going crazy trying to figure out the correct flow for two UV system that i have in a 500 gallon tank … im mostly doing it for parasite control ive been trough velvet like twice and i just had enough quarantine and uv for the future…

So here is my issue my first UV is a Aqua Ultraviolet 80watt .. all was pipe with 1 inch pvc … runing
Jump DC 10K Controllable Return Pump (2642 GPH)

… i have a neptune system with the 1 inch flow sensor wont go pass 560 gph they recommend for sterilization - 1226 GPH… uv is horizontal i run it at max and nothing wont go pass that i even tried cutting the pvc i avoided like 4 elbos straight to the sensor then to the uv and nothing not much of a difference ill post some pictures my head is going crazy i know that 1 inch pipe i should be able to do alot more then that…. When i did a 5 gallon bucket test outside from a different source water tubing 1 inch about 6 feet long i got like 9 seconds if the math is right is about 2250 gph water did not have to go up tho just went down …

I know is not the sensor i tried another sensor and same exact reading …

I even tried with the new pentair UV 150w vertically with anothethe neptune sensor with a pump that does 3170 GPH same thing the max flow that i get is 600gph …. Please help dont know what to do anymore

IMG_4886.jpeg IMG_4887.jpeg IMG_4888.jpeg IMG_4890.jpeg IMG_4891.jpeg IMG_4892.jpeg IMG_4893.jpeg IMG_4894.jpeg IMG_4895.jpeg IMG_4896.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to understand what you are want to accomplish.
You want to increase the flow thru the UV’s ?
The sterilization flow numbers for a light are maximum allowable flow to accomplish sterilization. Less flow will still work.
As far as flow sensors I don’t use them.

OP
OP
N

nova918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to understand what you are want to accomplish.
You want to increase the flow thru the UV’s ?
The sterilization flow numbers for a light are maximum allowable flow to accomplish sterilization. Less flow will still work.
As far as flow sensors I don’t use them.
Im trying to accomplish the right Flow recommended by Pentair and aqua ultraviolet to treat Protozoa

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to follow the initial post.

Flow sensors work fine, though the 1" do tend to get clogged quite easily. Make sure you have setup the proper size in Fusion and have the flow direction correct (arrow on back of sensor). Most DC pumps perform poorly against back pressure, whether head differences or friction.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to accomplish the right Flow recommended by Pentair and aqua ultraviolet to treat Protozoa
Think of flow like a speed limit of 25mph. Over 25 is bad. Under 25 is ok. You don’t have to go exactly 25.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at first glance you appear to have a lot of 90 degree elbows in your plumbing, each of the 90's reduces water flow thru turbulance. Sweep 90's or better yet 45 elbows would have smoother the path of flow for the water.

OP
OP
N

nova918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill try with 45 degree but really now is like only 1 90 degree because im doing vynil tubing now since i wanted to avoid those 90’s and same dont go past 560gph
Think of flow like a speed limit of 25mph. Over 25 is bad. Under 25 is ok. You don’t have to go exactly 25.
the thing is is not going 25 lets say half of that 15 …. So my tank turn over is not the same and protozoa takes advantage of that

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your DC pump is truly not strong enough for the amount of back pressure your "ENTIRE" plumbing system is creating

For example, I have a very powerful AC pump. Top of the line MRC 6100. Its flow rate is 6100 gph.
I'm running 1 1/2" plumbing a pretty good distance with as few turns and elbows as possible. My engineering calculations ( I'm no engineer ) showed that pump should run 3500- 4000 GPH.

It runs 1750 GPH

I think there are very few experienced hobbyist that ever get the flow calculation within 50% of its actual running GPH.

I'm not saying your doing it wrong or trying to say you don't know what your doing.

I'm saying this is a very hard calculation to get right on paper.

I 100% know my 6100 gph pump is running 1750 gph the same number that my Apex flow meter is delivering.

Here is the flow chart head pressure for your pump.

At only 4 ft of head pressure your pump will only deliver roughly 750 gph, I can't imagine with your plumbing layout that you have less than 4' of head pressure.

so I'd guess your flow meter is within 10% of actual flow.
dchead.jpg

Last edited:

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider is that most dc pumps are not pressure rated.
Second is likely reductions from say 1.25" to 1" combined with massive head pressure from a lot of turns (elbows and other similar things) will greatly reduce output.
I would probably just plumb the uv off a manifold/its own pump and not worry about it too much considering for sterilization, low flow is better.

OP
OP
N

nova918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just and update i just change everything from a close loop from the sump to a true close loop pump inside the aquarium directly that way i prevent from using a check valve it was a spring check valve that what right after the pump in my sump and boom speed wend 600 GPH to 834 GPH it jump 234 GPH more just by doing that ! Now today i will change the return tubes … its 1 inch then it coverts to 3/4 pipe …. Going to try making it 1” inch all the way trough see if that help me a little more and get me to almost what i was aiming for !

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just and update i just change everything from a close loop from the sump to a true close loop pump inside the aquarium directly that way i prevent from using a check valve it was a spring check valve that what right after the pump in my sump and boom speed wend 600 GPH to 834 GPH it jump 234 GPH more just by doing that ! Now today i will change the return tubes … its 1 inch then it coverts to 3/4 pipe …. Going to try making it 1” inch all the way trough see if that help me a little more and get me to almost what i was aiming for !
Great news, and great move. Get rid of any 3/4, the inside diameter is way to small for that pump to try to push through.
In my comercial facilities in the past before there were DC pumps, we used to run volume pumps not pressure pumps. The key was over sizing the pipe. I could push same gph through 2" pipe with a 1/4hp pump as I could push through a 1 1/2" pipe with a 1 hp pump. In a commercial facility 25% power usage was a must. they were only 1425 rpm pumps vs 3600 rpm. They ran quieter, cooler, and life span of pump was triple.

OP
OP
N

nova918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news, and great move. Get rid of any 3/4, the inside diameter is way to small for that pump to try to push through.
In my comercial facilities in the past before there were DC pumps, we used to run volume pumps not pressure pumps. The key was over sizing the pipe. I could push same gph through 2" pipe with a 1/4hp pump as I could push through a 1 1/2" pipe with a 1 hp pump. In a commercial facility 25% power usage was a must. they were only 1425 rpm pumps vs 3600 rpm. They ran quieter, cooler, and life span of pump was triple.
Super thanks for the info im at 900 gph now recomended GPH for theat Pentair 150w UV is 1024 GPH…. Is it ok to just be under 100 gph ?

Really nothing more i could do to help if not then have to go with a bigger tubbing to be honest im trying to avoid it more work and money

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super thanks for the info im at 900 gph now recomended GPH for theat Pentair 150w UV is 1024 GPH…. Is it ok to just be under 100 gph ?

Really nothing more i could do to help if not then have to go with a bigger tubbing to be honest im trying to avoid it more work and money
This is perfect, good work, dialed in !!!

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a different pump. GPH and max head height are two different things. You need a pump that can handle more head. On Geo’s Reef he has a pump called the DC56E. It’s a DC pump thats is rates for a decent amount of GLH vs 46 feet of head height pressure. You need something similar to that.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not keeping up with all your numbers but just remember UVs do a better job killing pathogens the SLOWER the water flow because the water spends more time under the light the slower it moves so more bad stuff gets killed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back