250watt DE 20k helios

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody using these? I'm thinking about changing bulbs. Right now I'm running 2-250watt DE 14k phoenix with 2-39watt T5 super actinics on my 58gal. I'm trying to get less par. I've added alot more LPS to my tank recently and they don't really like all the light.

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would stay as far away from helios as I could. I used some of there T-5's a few months ago, those things were absolute garbage. I will never support this company again.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i say its worth trying out, i've heard of alot of interest in these bulbs over on RC.

although, i'd do some research on the subject over there. i can't remember if they were talking about SE or DE helios bulbs.

also, AB 20k might be worth a shot if you are looking for bluer and less intense than pheonix 14k.

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh god... I would stay away from Helios as well! Used those at PETCO when I was there... Huge algae issues, PAR value was horrible - couldn't sustain corals well and wouldn't keep colors

OP
OP
JGoslee

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't want anything bluer just less intense. I was thinking a 20k would be what I'm looking for. My ballasts are ice caps if that makes any difference.

OP
OP
JGoslee

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is I could get rid of one of my lights and then use a lumenarc de reflector and keep one of my 14k's. So instead of 2-250watt 14k's I would only have 1-250watt 14k in a lumenarc de reflector.

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helios Halide Bulbs are pretty good. Yeah their T5's are garbage. The color is in the DE is similar to the SE. Fragfarmer and Atlantis use this type of bulb. It is similar to a Radium in color.

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is the SE but there is a reefer local who is running both DE and SE and they look pretty much identical. I am going to try the Helios DE in one of my prop tanks. I think fragfarmer is selling the DE version.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back