260 Gallon Dream Build

charlesP77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

This will be my first build thread, so let's see how this goes.

After about 14 years of reefing, I'm finally building my dream tank. I'm fairly well along in the planning stages, but I'm always open to input and suggestions. I'm buying what I can used to try to keep costs as reasonable (haha) as possible. At the same time, I'm buying some higher end gear to make sure I only have to buy it once. This will be a mixed reef. I'm just starting to get into SPS, so I'll probably only have a few in there.

The tank: Crystal Dynamics 260 gallon custom tank - 84" long x 30" deep x 24" high, eurobraced with reinforced seams and starboard bottom

The stand: Crystal Dynamics steel stand. Since the sump will be in the fish room, I'll have plenty of room for the closed loop pumps and storage of some fish supplies.

Sump: 135 gallon 72" x 18" x 26"? can't remember the exact height. It's a beast. This will be in my fishroom in the basement, at the other end of the house.

Water movement:
The sump return will be a Reeflo Barracuda/Hammerhead gold (bought used) which will also run a manifold and the protein skimmer. With the total pipe length and vertical rise, I'd be getting around 3000 gph before running the manifold - plenty for my needs.

I'll be running 2 closed loops in the main tank. One will be off a Red Dragon 3 80 watt, the other will be an Abyzz A100. Both of these I bought used from reefers on forums. I'm planning to run them with a controller to get opposing, synchronized wave motion. Between these 2 pumps and the return, I should have plenty of flow for anything I want to do in the tank.

Filtration:
I'll be including a refugium in my sump. This will probably have a deep sand bed as well as chaeto for nutrient export.

Skimmer will likely be RK2 systems, if I buy new. If I find a recirculating skimmer used with a price I like, I may get one of those.

I'll probably be using a UV sterilizer at some point. With what BRS has been doing lately, it seems like a good thing to be running.

Lighting:
I'm not 100% decided on this yet. I'm probably going to run Kessil A360x's, likely starting with 3 or 4. If I need more, I can always add later.

That's it for now. I'll add more details on planning as I go. I've already thought a lot about the fish room as well, so will post more details of that, and maybe some photos.

SlipperyWhipple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds extensive but looks like it will be a lot of fun. I wish you the best of luck as you go and keep us updated on the progress!!!

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your main tank is going to take some filling, hope it goes smoothly for you and can’t wait to see how it progresses. Good luck

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I do it I will use the red dragon for return pump. The dart will use much more electricity unless u have solar then no sweat.

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a very similar tank - 84x30x21, also from Crystal Dynamics - so I'll be following along here. When do you expect delivery?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The reeflo hammerhead gold sounds like a lot for 260. I have this very pump on my 660g and it shoots a lot of turbulence in fact i have it turned down a little via valves

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back