Mandarin is sick, Help

crownsbroyal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the pictures. It’s a mandarin I have had for about 2 years and now looks bad. The tank got ick about a month ago or so but it everything seems much better now. Then this happened. See the pictures. It has largish white spots on it and now seems to have growths. What is it and is it treatable?

IMG_4705.jpeg IMG_4706.jpeg IMG_4704.jpeg APC_0197.jpeg

Last edited:

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the parameters of your tank

Last edited by a moderator:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
See the pictures. It’s a biota mandarin I have had for about 2 years and now looks bad. The tank got ick about a month ago or so but it everything seems much better now. Then this happened. See the pictures. It has largish white spots on it and now seems to have growths. What is it and is it treatable?

IMG_4705.jpeg IMG_4706.jpeg IMG_4704.jpeg APC_0197.jpeg
I see some sand on the fish but also a few bacterial spots and will require treatment. The fish also appears to be thinning. A video would really be helpful to see breathing and swim behavior
Treatment recommended is seachem Neoplex in a separate treatment tank with added aeration

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP - can you please edit your subject line and remove Biota - it isn't relevant to the discussion as you have owned it for a couple years as you noted.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP - can you please edit your subject line and remove Biota - it isn't relevant to the discussion as you have owned it for a couple years as you noted.
Sure it is. Cb vs wild caught is very relevant. Especially brand named cb. Would owning an f150 for 2 years make it irrelevant to call it a ford truck?

OP
OP
C

crownsbroyal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would remove it but I can’t seem to figure out how to edit the title. Maybe I need to go to my desktop to do it.

OP
OP
C

crownsbroyal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some sand on the fish but also a few bacterial spots and will require treatment. The fish also appears to be thinning. A video would really be helpful to see breathing and swim behavior
Treatment recommended is seachem Neoplex in a separate treatment tank with added aeration
Here is a video.

Attachments

• IMG_4709.mov
    55.1 MB
Last edited:

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If WC and Biota CB outcomes (outcome = whatever happens in the future, whether near or far future) differ in interesting ways, the only way the community will pick up these differences is if the origin of the fish is specified. If we lump all mandarins that have been in captivity longer than time X as simply 'mandarin', then we won't be able to figure out these differences.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If WC and Biota CB outcomes (outcome = whatever happens in the future, whether near or far future) differ in interesting ways, the only way the community will pick up these differences is if the origin of the fish is specified. If we lump all mandarins that have been in captivity longer than time X as simply 'mandarin', then we won't be able to figure out these differences.

I do not disagree with your reasoning. I was commenting on the subject line. One could misunderstand is all. Maybe it is just a "me" thing and not the case for others.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually think this is important - (knowing the history wild/or captive) from a disease perspective. The post doesn't read like its critical of Biota IMO (but that might be a me thing)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On your pictures, can you point out the lesions you're concerned about? The 2 gray lumps on the back look like sand from the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here is a video.
there is indeed sand on its back and presence of a bacterial issue and treat as recommended. Most mandarins originate from the pacific and Australia but biota does sell captive bred. Origin plays little role with what the fish currently has and treatment will give it best chance of recovery

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back