Clown fish: sick or grieving?

FingersCrossed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 2 weeks, I've had 3 fish die and now another fish doesn't look great. See photos of clown fish. It seems to have some white/grey spots that I didn't see until today. It also seems more stressed than usual -- hiding a lot, and then swimming erratically.

The other deaths:
* Cleaner wrasse -- had seemed healthy until I found it dead one day (had been in tank about 4 months).
* Royal gramma -- had been healthy/growing in tank for over a year, and then over the course of a week it became more lethargic, lost its color, and hid all the time.
* Clown fish -- seemed totally fine until dead two days ago. Had been in tank for nearly 9 years. Even when dead, it looked totally healthy -- no spots/discoloration/wounds.

Because these deaths all seemed different and had visible fungus/illness, I thought perhaps it was just bad luck. But now the other clown looks a bit sick.

My water parameters are good (salinity, ammonia, nitrates, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium)

Any thoughts on what this is, or anyway to prevent further deaths?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_3830.jpg IMG_3826.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Over the past 2 weeks, I've had 3 fish die and now another fish doesn't look great. See photos of clown fish. It seems to have some white/grey spots that I didn't see until today. It also seems more stressed than usual -- hiding a lot, and then swimming erratically.

The other deaths:
* Cleaner wrasse -- had seemed healthy until I found it dead one day (had been in tank about 4 months).
* Royal gramma -- had been healthy/growing in tank for over a year, and then over the course of a week it became more lethargic, lost its color, and hid all the time.
* Clown fish -- seemed totally fine until dead two days ago. Had been in tank for nearly 9 years. Even when dead, it looked totally healthy -- no spots/discoloration/wounds.

Because these deaths all seemed different and had visible fungus/illness, I thought perhaps it was just bad luck. But now the other clown looks a bit sick.

My water parameters are good (salinity, ammonia, nitrates, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium)

Any thoughts on what this is, or anyway to prevent further deaths?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_3830.jpg IMG_3826.jpg
Clown infested with ich and will need immediate quarantine and treatment. I recommend treating with either copper power or copper safe at therapeutic level 2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, your clown there is definitely sick - I'll leave the diagnosing up to the fishmedics here, but there's a very good chance that any fish still in the tank are sick by this point and need immediate treatment; so plan on needing to treat all the fish you have left, not just the clown.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back