270 Gallon "Fish Pairs Themed" Upgrade

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to get something on the big door opposite the tank. The glare and reflection is just too much! Not a fan of curtains cause of my dust allergies but seems to be the cheapest option. I wanted one of those blackout electric shades, but at 3k my husband NOOOO WAY! I will have to do some more searching.
12A766D3-B59C-4CF6-8D6C-29500D84A4F6.jpeg

0DFD828A-3FA6-453B-B95B-E379658CC975.jpeg
Go to Amazon and key in shading window film. It is plastic on a roll that you can apply to windows to block the sun.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Amazon and key in shading window film. It is plastic on a roll that you can apply to windows to block the sun.
We just replaced this door due to it rotted and was leaky, but the old door we had professionals put the darkest window film they had on but still a reflection. It helped with glare but not the reflection. :confused-face:That was a waste of $800. I think I’m going to try black blackout curtains, even though I don’t like curtains, but want to see my tank more. You can see in this picture how dark that film was and still didn’t fix the problem.

8A932702-7436-4CC4-99FF-CCCB82256415.jpeg

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just had four 73inch windows replaced... we got more needing to go
But they're 60inch. Thankfully
We got cordless blinds because of toddler and pets. I love the cordless ones.
I love those too. We looked into those and they don’t make them big for one to go all the way across so would have to have two custom made and that was like $1500. And the motorized ones were $3000. Hanging becomes problem too cause there is nothing in the middle to hang a support on. I can get two curtains and rods for around $600 but even then hanging the middle part is an issue with only 1 1/2” space between the door frame and top trim. Maybe an electrical metal conduit pipe that would go all the way across. Not sure if that would still need a support in the middle.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a very nasty project. And really not chezp. Ouch.
Yep. There isn’t another wall big enough for the tank either. There are built-ins, closet doors, doors to other rooms, fireplaces or something that is in the way. For such a big house there is not much wall space. :( Next house I need to think about tank placement before buying

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those too. We looked into those and they don’t make them big for one to go all the way across so would have to have two custom made and that was like $1500. And the motorized ones were $3000. Hanging becomes problem too cause there is nothing in the middle to hang a support on. I can get two curtains and rods for around $600 but even then hanging the middle part is an issue with only 1 1/2” space between the door frame and top trim. Maybe an electrical metal conduit pipe that would go all the way across. Not sure if that would still need a support in the middle.
Two curtains and a rod for $600$??

Disclaimer, I own a nice sewing machine and know how to use it So I've actually never bought curtains but that seems really expensive..

My house had mostly plantation shutters when we moved in, but I did need to make custom curtains for a few triangular windows. I doubt the raw materials cost 100 bucks for multiple windows. I had no idea. Custom curtains were so expensive..

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a simular spot back in new mexico... i taped black garbage bags over the window frame. No.. im not telling you to do that... even masking tape long term causes issues. I was desperate. I wanted to see my tank
My husband is on board for the price of the blackout curtains. Now just gotta figure out best way to hang them.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Disclaimer, I own a nice sewing machine and know how to use it So I've actually never bought curtains but that seems really expensive..

My house had mostly plantation shutters when we moved in, but I did need to make custom curtains for a few triangular windows. I doubt the raw materials cost 100 bucks for multiple windows. I had no idea. Custom curtains were so expensive..
All you do... is diy.. my mom was a sewing machine operater, knew how to survive in the wild... i didnt learn sh..t from her because i was stupid kid....

Gunna go find a wall and plant my head in it.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep! Due to the size of them and that they are the 100% blackout which also requires a blackout liner , they get pricey.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Due to the size of them and that they are the 100% blackout which also requires a blackout liner , they get pricey.
Do you know how to sew? Could be a fun project.

Check this out! https://a.co/d/c82SXJo

10 yards of blackout batting is 50 bucks. At a couple hundred more for your fabric and hardware, and you've got blackout curtains plus rod, and money to throw at tanks :cool:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

10 yards of blackout batting is 50 bucks. At a couple hundred more for your fabric and hardware, and you've got blackout curtains plus rod, and money to throw at tanks :cool:
Fine. I'm getting a sewing machine. Just because tailored clothes look better.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes I have a sewing machine.But my sewing skills are not great. I need 148” wide and 100”height. Plus more for seam allowance. I’m not go with math so tell me how much I’d need? This doesn’t say 100% blackout and if it doesn’t say 100% it lets light in. There are different grades of blackout fabric. Believe me, I know more about blackout fabric now than I ever wanted too. :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back