29 Gal Project/Predator Tank

gunslingersgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my husband and I just upgraded our SW from 55 to 75 and our FW from 29 to 55....
That means we have a 29 to play around with! I was thinking about a cool little predator fish we could put in the 29 g....I'm not really sure if the tank is big enough for anything that I'd be interested in though. Anyone have any ideas?

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 20 gallon low tech softie tank. Just a hob, ato and heater.

OP
OP
gunslingersgirl

gunslingersgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really familiar with a lot of coral talk unfortunately! We're just now starting to add some frags to our 75. A dwarf lion sounds intriguing...I wish we had room for a sweet lips :(

thegunslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softie (Soft corals)= mushrooms, leather, stuff without calcareous skeletons
HOB= Hang On Back, probably referring to a filter here
ATO= Automatic Top Off unit to replace evaporated water

kmog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a sweet little puffer. Figure 8 or green spot I think both work in that size

OP
OP
gunslingersgirl

gunslingersgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh our local aquarium store actually had a cute little green spot in stock last week. A puffer would be pretty cool. I'm partial to the dogface, though. That's probably too big huh?

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 10 gallon with a frog fish it was really really cool

1454423750801.jpg

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my husband and I just upgraded our SW from 55 to 75 and our FW from 29 to 55....
That means we have a 29 to play around with! I was thinking about a cool little predator fish we could put in the 29 g....I'm not really sure if the tank is big enough for anything that I'd be interested in though. Anyone have any ideas?
Wheres the 55? Nevermind

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually setting up one of these now, still have to make a DIY sump and fill up the tank though. I'm stocking it with a snowflake eel or a golden dwarf moray and a frogfish (wartskin or sargassum). Also having some corals because my 14 gallon is getting a bit crowded, that Xenia grows really fast.

thegunslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflake eel would be so cool. Gunslinger better be taking notes haha
In no particular order, my preferences are fu manchu lion, snowflake eel, and valentini puffer. I am a little hesitant about the eel though, as I'm not convinced that a 29 isn't too small for them.

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no particular order, my preferences are fu manchu lion, snowflake eel, and valentini puffer. I am a little hesitant about the eel though, as I'm not convinced that a 29 isn't too small for them.
My sister had one for over a year In a 25 gallon but she got out of the hobby and tock him back to are lfs it was really cool I got to were I could hand feed him back in the day

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually setting up one of these now, still have to make a DIY sump and fill up the tank though. I'm stocking it with a snowflake eel or a golden dwarf moray and a frogfish (wartskin or sargassum). Also having some corals because my 14 gallon is getting a bit crowded, that Xenia grows really fast.
if it can get it in its mouth the frog fish will eat it mine at a 4 inch goby and it was barely 2inches it was insane

OP
OP
gunslingersgirl

gunslingersgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As cool as the snowflake eel would be, I'd feel terrible if we didn't have enough space for him after a while....
That being said, I'm torn between the fu manchu and the valentine puffer.
We'll see what's available after we get our stand repaired and our 29 cycled ;)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back