29 Gal Project/Predator Tank

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been seeing some tiny snowflakes lately. A snowflake in a 29 for life isn't really a great idea. This is a 55 gallon tank and it was a bit small for him. I actually upgraded because of him.

OP
OP
gunslingersgirl

gunslingersgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been seeing some tiny snowflakes lately. A snowflake in a 29 for life isn't really a great idea. This is a 55 gallon tank and it was a bit small for him. I actually upgraded because of him.

Thanks for the input. I have to agree with you....I just feel that a 29 would be way too small for a snowflake...Gunslinger and I are leaning more towards the valentini puffer or fu manchu.

Hippy_D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would go fu man chu!! Although the puffer might be a lot easier to feed as the fu man chu has been known to only accept live food..
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454662848.904490.jpg

This is my new predator! It's a sargassum angler and would be another good option? It has a great personality! But like the lion I may never get it to eat anything but live... But hey that's predator fish keeping!!

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for a fu Manchu Lionfish. I have one in my 40 breeder and he's a stunning fish and very fun to feed. They can be hard to wean onto frozen food, but honestly I believe that it really comes down to the individual Lionfish and not the species. Of my 3 Lionfish, my fu Manchu was the easiest to get onto frozen. He was already eating frozen silversides at the local fish store without them ever offering him any live food after arrival. He just took straight to frozen for them! I think the key is just to make sure you get a healthy specimen.

Oh and I agree that a 29 gallon is way too small for a snowflake eel. I know you can find them tiny, but let me tell you, they grow fast! I have one that started tiny in my 40 breeder and he's doubled in size in the 9 months I've had him. He does great in the 40 breeder, but I'm aware that someday I'll need to upgrade for him.

thegunslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would go fu man chu!! Although the puffer might be a lot easier to feed as the fu man chu has been known to only accept live food..
This is my new predator! It's a sargassum angler and would be another good option? It has a great personality! But like the lion I may never get it to eat anything but live... But hey that's predator fish keeping!!
Looks great. Our LFS just got an orange one in, so an angler is on the table for us now as well.
My vote is for a fu Manchu Lionfish. I have one in my 40 breeder and he's a stunning fish and very fun to feed. They can be hard to wean onto frozen food, but honestly I believe that it really comes down to the individual Lionfish and not the species. Of my 3 Lionfish, my fu Manchu was the easiest to get onto frozen. He was already eating frozen silversides at the local fish store without them ever offering him any live food after arrival. He just took straight to frozen for them! I think the key is just to make sure you get a healthy specimen.

Oh and I agree that a 29 gallon is way too small for a snowflake eel. I know you can find them tiny, but let me tell you, they grow fast! I have one that started tiny in my 40 breeder and he's doubled in size in the 9 months I've had him. He does great in the 40 breeder, but I'm aware that someday I'll need to upgrade for him.
Thanks for the advice.
We still have some equipment to buy to fully upgrade our 75, and to get the 29 ready for SW, so we have time to think all of this over.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back