29 Gallon Build Confirmation

orange50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I have been keeping freshwater fish for the better part of 10 years. However, I have finally decided to jump into the saltwater aquarium realm, as I have a spare 29-gallon fish tank. I have been watching all of the BRStv guides and reading multiple builds on Reef2reef. However, I wanted confirmation that my equipment would be suitable, given some items are older spare equipment, and I am also looking to keep this build low-budget.

Equipment list:
Filter - Marine Color Surface Protein Skimmer (configured to hold biological and additional mechanical media) - spare
Powerhead - Aquaneat 480 GPH pump - spare
Light - NICREW Saltwater Aquarium Light
RO/DI - R.O. Buddie 4 stage

Stocking list:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Sleeper Goby
3 or 4 snails and hermits

Unfortunately, I do not have room on the side of the tank for an external H.O.B. filter, as the tank sits in a custom stand, leaving only 2 inches on each side. I do plan on adding beginner corals down the road (e.g., Zoa's, etc.). However, my primary focus will be water chemistry and tank stability over the first six months.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
firstly; welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

secondly; you should be okay with those choices. filtration definitely will be tricky for you. drilling not an option? i would alter the stock list for fish with purpose(i.e: algae eating fish like hector/court jester goby, or a small pest eater like a pink streaked wrasse) clowns are great but with a tank build like that it’ll be useful to have a stock list that’ll help you maintain it! :) just a thought

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good but I suggest to upgrade that powerhead, and consider that 2 is better. Flow is very important in a salt tank. I also don't see sand and rocks on the list, sand is not so important but rocks are the basis of biofiltration in a salt tank.

Nicrew is a good light, but keep in mind that you don't get a controller, just the light. Once you add the cost of the controller, then it becomes the same price as a brand name light.

You will need test kits, and if you want corals down the road then invest in good test kits not API.

An ATO is a vital machine on a salt tank, topping off manually becomes tedious and tiresome very quickly.

OP
OP
O

orange50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firstly; welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

secondly; you should be okay with those choices. filtration definitely will be tricky for you. drilling not an option? i would alter the stock list for fish with purpose(i.e: algae eating fish like hector/court jester goby, or a small pest eater like a pink streaked wrasse) clowns are great but with a tank build like that it’ll be useful to have a stock list that’ll help you maintain it! :) just a thought
Thank you for the Welcome. Unfortunately, drilling is not an option. The stand's design was, in essence, a fireplace but a fish tank.

Thank you for the thought on the stock list. The tank was previously a planted tank, which I barely touched, given that all the inhabitants served a purpose. I will definitely look more into stocking as I am not set on that.

OP
OP
O

orange50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good but I suggest to upgrade that powerhead, and consider that 2 is better. Flow is very important in a salt tank. I also don't see sand and rocks on the list, sand is not so important but rocks are the basis of biofiltration in a salt tank.

Nicrew is a good light, but keep in mind that you don't get a controller, just the light. Once you add the cost of the controller, then it becomes the same price as a brand name light.

You will need test kits, and if you want corals down the road then invest in good test kits not API.

An ATO is a vital machine on a salt tank, topping off manually becomes tedious and tiresome very quickly.
Yes, I plan on adding 2 240 GPH powerheads totaling 480. For total GPH for powerheads, what would be a good overall to hit?

For sand and live rock:
I plan on adding 20 pounds of Fiji pink, which should give me about a 1-inch sandbed. For liverock, I plan on adding either 20 or 30 pounds of Caribsea Liferock.

Given how my stand is set up, I will look into jerry-rigging an ATO, as it will have to sit on top of the stand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back