29 gallon Reef Recked build

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys figured i might as well move to the Nano section, here is the link to my first thread for my whole build up to this point.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/29-gallon-reef-build-ground-up.481640/#post-5314370
Been a little side tracked due to life and the holidays so have been taking time to work on the build whenever I can but trying to take some pictures to document my progress as well. heres whats been happening over the past month or so.
stand getting there
IMG_0432.jpg
these small magnetic brackets i made to attach the face of the stand for easy access
IMG_0469.jpg
IMG_0471.jpg
More Goodies coming in
IMG_0382.jpg
Cutting the acrylic for the custom sump and ATO res. (before I took the leap and got a table saw)
IMG_0520.jpg
Sump bonded together!
IMG_0720.jpg
Leak on one corner of sump so had to use the weld on 16
IMG_0748.jpg
Water Test and no more Leaks!
IMG_0778.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling the back of display for my overflow and return (First time drilling glass it was nerve-racking but easier than expected!)
IMG_0743.jpg
Plasti dip the back of the display
IMG_0777.jpg
Drilled my tank stand to run my drain and return through the stand, thought this would make for a cleaner install and just something i havent seen so thought i would give it a try.
IMG_0782.jpg
IMG_0783.jpg
Coming Along
IMG_0798.jpg
Going to be running a bean animal in the overflow, not enough room to add another 90 on the main siphon but i dont believe this is going to be a problem? any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0839.jpg
And here is the tank so far up to today, waiting on some true union ball valves to finish the lines and figure out how exactly im finishing my sump.
IMG_0869.jpg

Any and all feedback would be great, my goal is to have the rock in and cycling within the next week and a half !!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling the back of display for my overflow and return (First time drilling glass it was nerve-racking but easier than expected!)
IMG_0743.jpg
IMG_0777.jpg
Drilled my tank stand to run my drain and return through the stand, thought this would make for a cleaner install and just something i havent seen so thought i would give it a try.
IMG_0782.jpg
IMG_0783.jpg
Coming Along
IMG_0798.jpg
Going to be running a bean animal in the overflow, not enough room to add another 90 on the main siphon but i dont believe this is going to be a problem? any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0839.jpg
And here is the tank so far up to today, waiting on some true union ball valves to finish the lines and figure out how exactly im finishing my sump.
IMG_0869.jpg

Any and all feedback would be great, my goal is to have the rock in and cycling within the next week and a half !!
That's awsome! !!!! Thanks for sharing. Look like you sprayed plasti-dip? Great look

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0743.jpg
IMG_0777.jpg
IMG_0782.jpg
IMG_0783.jpg
Coming Along
IMG_0798.jpg
IMG_0839.jpg
IMG_0869.jpg

Looking good. What are you planning for lighting?

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awsome! !!!! Thanks for sharing. Look like you sprayed plasti-dip? Great look
hey Jomama yes it is plasti dip, took about 5 coats to get it to really fill in but came out great i like the look.

Looking good. What are you planning for lighting?
Im not sure depends on the money, I was thinking of running a Kessil but im leaning more towards an SBreeflights w/ wifi. any suggestions?

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R @Reef Recked !!! Looking at you old thread, you have made a great progress. Can't wait to see it running. Following along>>>
Looking good - off to a great start for sure.
Looks great so far and thanks for sharing all the pictures!

Very nice
Thanks guys Getting there!

Looks really good and I loved all the details!
Thank you !! alot of time and tears went into some of the little details haha, its taking way longer than i planned but want to do it right and trying to plan for as much as possible.

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between building these Christmas trees for the girlfriend was able to get all of my plumbing planned out and glued (like everything it took wayyyy longer than planned :eek:, this week just have to finish the sump / ATO reservoir, and then finish the stand while I leak test the tank.

IMG_0549.jpg
IMG_0899.jpg IMG_0898.jpg IMG_0901.jpg IMG_0902.jpg

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Jomama yes it is plasti dip, took about 5 coats to get it to really fill in but came out great i like the look.

Im not sure depends on the money, I was thinking of running a Kessil but im leaning more towards an SBreeflights w/ wifi. any suggestions?

I run 4 t5s on my 29. I think for the money the sbreeflights would work. Kessil would work better but you would need 2 of them.

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 t5s on my 29. I think for the money the sbreeflights would work. Kessil would work better but you would need 2 of them.

Im still considering T5's as a hybrid with the LEDs and was thinking of making a canopy considering i already have the uglier rimmed tank but to run the SBreeflights it looks like i would either need a hole in the canopy and to run the light above it to get enough coverage or just have a very tall canopy that i don't think would look right. And two kessils just seems like alot of money haha

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all, managed to finish the custom sump, have to say working with the sealant and trying to make it look nice was one of my least favorite parts of the build so far! but got them in and water tested had one small leak i had to fix but got that fixed and everything fits!! :D:D once the sealant is dry and i pick up a slip to thread for my return pump (which i forgot) then its time to water test the whole system!
IMG_0931.jpg IMG_0965.jpg IMG_0966.jpg IMG_0964.jpg IMG_0963.jpg IMG_0962.jpg

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Any tips on installing the modular marine overflow? I have my MM overflow and will be drilling my tank after Xmas.

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Any tips on installing the modular marine overflow? I have my MM overflow and will be drilling my tank after Xmas.

Hey Buddy Thank you! Id imagine your running a bean animal? if so space inside the box is pretty tight and because of where i wanted my drains to run into the sump and as flat against the wall as possible i had to run the emergency on the far left line which meant for my main siphon i only had room to run 1 PVC 90 ive seen some people say that this will have no effect on sound from the main siphon and some say it will be louder so we'll see how it goes! I can take some more pictures of the inside setup if it would help

For drilling the Tank MM sends a small piece of acrylic in between the bulkheads and Overflow box that makes a perfect guide, i just taped it to where i needed the holes and drilled away! just be careful not to put too much pressure on the drill and let the diamond bit do the work. It was my first time drilling glass and was pretty easy!

and Merry Christmas!

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Buddy Thank you! Id imagine your running a bean animal? if so space inside the box is pretty tight and because of where i wanted my drains to run into the sump and as flat against the wall as possible i had to run the emergency on the far left line which meant for my main siphon i only had room to run 1 PVC 90 ive seen some people say that this will have no effect on sound from the main siphon and some say it will be louder so we'll see how it goes! I can take some more pictures of the inside setup if it would help

For drilling the Tank MM sends a small piece of acrylic in between the bulkheads and Overflow box that makes a perfect guide, i just taped it to where i needed the holes and drilled away! just be careful not to put too much pressure on the drill and let the diamond bit do the work. It was my first time drilling glass and was pretty easy!

and Merry Christmas!
Thanks for that! Yeah the bean animal is the plan as that is what I had run on previous tanks. Did your overflow come with bulkheads or uniseals? Mine came with uniseals but I have never used them before... I am having a hard time trusting them over bulkheads. Some more pics would be great!
I have drilled a tank before so hopefully this time it also goes smoothly :D

Merry Christmas to you too!!

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered it with Bulkheads it was 10-15$ extra or so because i had the same worry with the uni seals haha, i have way more faith in a bulkhead! you can order a set of 4 in either slip or thread off amazon for about 10$ i had to for the sump i built, id just make sure there is room for both on the holes drilled next to eachother on the overflow as different bulkheads ive found have different widths. I hope so too it is nerve racking as soon as the bit touches that glass! Ill take some more pics of the setup and try and get them up in the next day or so ;Snaphappy:)

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered it with Bulkheads it was 10-15$ extra or so because i had the same worry with the uni seals haha, i have way more faith in a bulkhead! you can order a set of 4 in either slip or thread off amazon for about 10$ i had to for the sump i built, id just make sure there is room for both on the holes drilled next to eachother on the overflow as different bulkheads ive found have different widths. I hope so too it is nerve racking as soon as the bit touches that glass! Ill take some more pics of the setup and try and get them up in the next day or so ;Snaphappy:)
That was my fault for not reading the description of the overflow properly, I just assumed it would have bulkheads. I actually did order a set of low profile bulkheads, just waiting for them to arrive.
Looking forward to the pics :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%

Back