29 to 90 gallon build/upgrade

Shark8em

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there R2R-ers! Starting my build thread so I can get some input/feedback on this build as it progresses! Here is a bit of background - I've had my feet wet in the saltwater scene for about 10 years now but really haven't "taken the dive" so to speak. I have a 29 gallon setup that I started up again a little over a year ago. Up until 6 months ago, the tank was pretty basic - some live rock in a sand bed with a few assorted snails, 2 mated frostbite clowns, a small BTA, and a pajama cardinal. Then I got sucked into a WWC live sale over the summer...need I say more! I figured that if I ever wanted to have my true mixed reef tank, then I needed to start somewhere. Fast-forward 6 months and my tank is in need of a serious upgrade...which brings us to today and my new 90 gallon tank that I can't wait to get set up! I have learned in the past that slow and steady wins the race so I will be planning and designing this build without rushing it. Will post more on current equipment and what I'm planning for the 90 tomorrow! Thanks everyone!

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
finding nemo eww GIF

OP
OP
Shark8em

Shark8em

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my current setup I'm running an OR T247 LED light and have seen major improvement in all of my frags since upgrading. Thinking about purchasing another so I have 2 over the 90. Anyone else using OR lights on 90+ gal tanks?

Also acquired a Euro-Reef RS250 skimmer in really good shape...kinda overkill but I've never heard of anyone "over skimming" :D

I've been looking into what size tank to use for my sump. This will be a new chapter for me so I could really use some tips and input! How big of a sump should I have for this tank? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club. 90 is a good size tank in my opinion, lots of options but still small enough that it isn't overwhelming. I might prefer a 120 over a 90 but already had my 90 purchased so stuck with it.

What are your long term plans? Sps, lps,mixed? Fish heavy or coral heavy? Stepping stone stone something bigger later or this the big build?

If you want to view my build thread to see if there are any tips of pointers that'd help you out feel free. This wasn't my first build and I learned a lot from previous experiences to try and thjnkthings through real well this time.

OP
OP
Shark8em

Shark8em

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club. 90 is a good size tank in my opinion, lots of options but still small enough that it isn't overwhelming. I might prefer a 120 over a 90 but already had my 90 purchased so stuck with it.

What are your long term plans? Sps, lps,mixed? Fish heavy or coral heavy? Stepping stone stone something bigger later or this the big build?

If you want to view my build thread to see if there are any tips of pointers that'd help you out feel free. This wasn't my first build and I learned a lot from previous experiences to try and thjnkthings through real well this time.
Thanks! I will definitely check out your thread. I am planning on a mixed reef, probably only going to add a couple more fish than what I currently have. Until we build our bigger house (~4-5 yrs), I'm limited on space. So this 90 will be it for a while.

OP
OP
Shark8em

Shark8em

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted in a while, so this is where I'm at:

Tank prepped, scrubbed out.

Stand got a fresh coat of paint.

Repainted back wall of the tank.

Sump baffles installed & water tested. (I ended up going with a 40 breeder)

Currently working on plumbing layout (which I think is my least favorite part of the build!)
-Goal is to have the plumbing together so I can fill and test it by the end of this weekend.

Waiting on my shipment of frags from the WWC live sale...those will be here tomorrow!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back