90 Gallon Reef Build

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This upgrade has been a long time coming. I bought the tank about 4.5 years ago with plans to upgrade from a 46 gallon. Having a kid and house projects got in the way so it sat brand new in the basement on a partially constructed stand for years. I have had plans to get it going but no time or money and ended up deciding to wait until the room was refinished so I wouldn't have to move it later.

Some water damage last spring to the room forced a refinish so rather than repair I decided to gut and finally finish this den. All the paneling is gone, thank God. Now we have new drywall, new ceilings, new lighting, refinished hardwood floors, and a barn door to close off the room. I also redid the electrical and chose to wire new outlets on a dedicated breaker for the tank. There will be a gfci below in the stand and a gfci above in the cabinets to keep everything separate from the rest of the house and safe from someone overloading and tripping a breaker. I also scrapped the standard stand and canopy design and am building the tank into a wall of built in cabinets with the reef being the center. This gives me a lot more room to work with below and above for equipment but does hinder access to the tank slightly. Ive tried to think things out some hopefully I dont curse myself out later.

I've also been slowly buying equipment over the last year to help ease the financial burden of a startup. The tank and dry rock were purchased years ago, pukani and Fiji! I've since bought a bashsea sump, a reef octopus skimmer, a top off, a heater, and a return pump. Still need some lighting and powerheads. I am also going to purchase some liverock when the tank is ready to get wet and avoid my previous issues associated with all dry bleached rock.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures of the den renovation and after.
20200210_194738.jpg
20200208_174153.jpg
20200227_154658.jpg
20200603_075811.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats and looking forward to it!

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After that was done covid delaying the floor refinishing a few months and gave me time to think about the tank and cabinet plans.
20200824_102904.jpg
20200427_193637.jpg
20200514_171230.jpg

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see the tank sticks out and the whole center cabinet juts out 11 inches. I did this for 2 reasons. One I like the look of depth and having the tank look like it's part of the cabinets and also to maximize tank viewing angles and access. It also let's me hide the corner overflow behind a door so I dont see it all the time. I used window tint on the opposite side to make it equal. It also allows about 16 inches behind the tank for storage, equipment, and an upgrade to a 120 if desired some day.

The rockwork isnt set, I have another 100 lbs or so to playwith but I liked what I had there. Thinking I may keep it and then just add liverock for the rest and liverock in the sump as a crypto fuge.

Still need to finish molding and trim for the cabinets and build the face frames. Ive started the plumbing but need to finish that as well. Once those are on I'll shift to getting the tank wet to cycle while I build doors and what not.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completed the electric today so we have power! Installed the fan that will blow air down onto the top of the tank and some trim work inside as well. There is also a fan behind the tank blowing air down to the sump and lower cabinet. I caulked everything to keel moisture and humid air within the center cabinets only.

Next step will be completing the canopy and face frames.

Also trying to figure out some future moves. I want a gyre pump either redsea or maxspect on the far right top. Not sure if I should go mp40/mp10 on the back wall or a second gyre pump. I already have 3 mp10 pumps I can use if theyd be strong enough.

Lighting I have 2 kessil 360x. Thinking I'm going to use a t5/led hybrid approach like the aquaticlife instead of being a third kessil.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a few weeks. Went back to work and trying to find time has been more difficult with end of summer/fall cleanup as well.

I was able to build out the canopy section below the upper cabinet. l also I put all the face frames on and got them painted. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the crown molding all put on and then I'll wait a week or so and clearcoat the faceframe and molding with rustoleum verathane. I have a few more trim pieces I want to make to tidy up inside the cabinet as well.
20200923_140422.jpg
20200923_140503.jpg
20200923_140559.jpg
20200923_140542.jpg

Found this neat notebook to use for my log as well. Thought it appropriate

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canopy fits very snug to the top of the rim. I did on the sides build it out in a layered effect as you see in the picture above so it doesn't rest on the tank. This also allows some airflow from outside the cabinet. For the front I beveled the edge of the board and painted it with black gloss oil enamal to get a similar effect and prevent and water damage to the wood.

I'm hoping this gives the built in effect while also providing airflow. I'm thinking hot humid air will rise off the top of the tank and this will cause air to get sucked in from outside the cabinet through the slots. There is also the fan above the tank blowig down and a fan behind the tank blowing down into the sump cabinet.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since I've updated. I've got the crown molding on and everything painted. Emptied out the tank and gave it a good cleaning before reinstalling.

I also purchased the aquaticlife life hybrid fixture and got it mounted with the 2 kessil 360x about 8 inches above the tank.

Just finished all the plumbing for the sump so hopefully no leaks. I tried to be smart with unions to allow for future changes if the need arises. I can take the sump completely offline with my unions for a good cleaning too.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modified the stock over flow for an herbie. Blue is the drain and red is the emergency. Took the return up and over the back, used black silicone to seal around the PVC and cut out in the corner over flow to prevent snails.

Ordered some salt, going to try red sea blue bucket this time. Need to take the sump out to clean, leak test, and measure approximately how many gallons held.

Also finished the doors for the lower cabinet so mount I'll them tonight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower doors are on, sump cleaned and was leak tested everything held tight. About 25 gallons water volume for the sump. Cleaned the underneath in the stand and connected the sump with all the plumbing. Red sea salt coming tomorrow, rodi water currently being made.
20201017_201300.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! Looks amazing! Clean and like a piece of furniture in the room quite literally. Cant wait to follow along more!
Thanks that was my goal. Pretty set with those 3 pieces of dry rock, going to cycle them in place. While cycling I will cure 30 lbs liverock in a separate area and maybe add some more dry depending how it works.
I figured while cycling and curing I can build the other doors and get some other pieces together for the tank.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that was my goal. Pretty set with those 3 pieces of dry rock, going to cycle them in place. While cycling I will cure 30 lbs liverock in a separate area and maybe add some more dry depending how it works.
I figured while cycling and curing I can build the other doors and get some other pieces together for the tank.
Tinkering with it after it's wet and cycling helps pass the time! That's what I'm focusing on. I've got more code to do for the controller, and a few other things. Just need to sit down a s actually do it

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a few weeks. Went back to work and trying to find time has been more difficult with end of summer/fall cleanup as well.

I was able to build out the canopy section below the upper cabinet. l also I put all the face frames on and got them painted. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the crown molding all put on and then I'll wait a week or so and clearcoat the faceframe and molding with rustoleum verathane. I have a few more trim pieces I want to make to tidy up inside the cabinet as well.
20200923_140422.jpg
20200923_140503.jpg
20200923_140559.jpg
20200923_140542.jpg

Found this neat notebook to use for my log as well. Thought it appropriate
I like the angle of the top cabinet.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back