OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals all continuing to encrust. Seeing more branches shoot up from the base of the green slimer and seeing some start to shoot up from the WD acro. The setosa has colored up and developed branches on the backside where it was previously fragged from the mother colony.

I'm having a hard time dialing in my alk. Trying to go slow and change very little at a time to keep stability. Been turning up the dosers a few minutes once a week but my levels stay at 7.3 regardless.

Finally moved over my first fish! The Melanarus Wrasse made the move from the old tank to the new build today. He's currently hiding in the sand but I'm sure he'll come out and start gobbling up these red planera flatworms! My next goal is the tomini tang if possible to help with algae.

I also picked up a foxface lo today. Currently in observation and then will start my usual qt protocol of prazipro, feeding metro, and copper.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transferred the rest of the fish over about a week ago. Originally I wanted to go slow and only do a couple at a time, but I stirred up so much junk in the old tank I was afraid of a mini cycle and decided to just go all in. I had been feeding reefroids and reef chili daily to the new tank for months now and felt I built up a good bacterial base. Fish included 2 occie clowns, a melanarus wrasse, a tomini tang, a 4 inch blue Hippo Tang, and a lemonpeel angel. As expected I've seen a huge decrease in the flatworms on the rockworm. Unexpectedly I also saw the elimination of most of the algae within days as well, including dictoya and bryposis!

Unfortunately the angel started picking. First the candycanes remained shriveled, then the zoas remained closed, then no PE on most or my sps.my Green slimer once furry as can be now has tiny polyps peaking out and the skin mostly bleached. I'm assuming maybe the PE shades the skin so much during the day that the skin now exposed to bright lighting caused it to pale and bleach out? Or could that just be stress from picking? The euphyllia, Elegance, birdsnest, and stylos were unaffected but everything else took a downturn. I tested and all params remained stable and I saw visual constant picking.

Took 3 days but wife finally caught the angel and it was banished to the basement tank with the foxface, Damsel, and 2 clowns that's have not yet been through qt. Thr foxface and the damsel will go through a qt and transfer to the main display when I get time to start all that up. The angel will now live with the clowns forever in the basement tank lol. Within 24 hours I saw the sps peaking their polyps out again, although smaller then pre angelfish. The rest of the affected corals are looking better, just not at 100%. Hopefully everything rebounds and regrow whatever damage was done by the angel.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been close to a year since I've updated this build. Over last spring and summer I was having a lot of issues that I never could trace down a cause. Lost every single monti, pocci, and birdnest coral and a few of the acros as well as 1 lepto and the Duncan's. The stylo had severe dieback and the besides the frogspawn nothing seemed to grow. Everything tested ok and ICP didn't show anything abnormal, had no new addition, and didn't notice any sort of pest. I attempted to ride it out and not make any changes blindly and cause further damage, it's so difficult to not knee jerk react and watch corals waste away.

By fall the damage seemed to have stopped spreading although I didn't see any new growth. Fish stayed healthythis while time, only algae issue I had was cyano on the bed. I decided enough was enough and to try and correct whatever happened since nothings improving. I started trace elements, picked up my waterchanges, and studied my log. Turns out a few weeks before the decline I bumped up the flow and kessils and never attributed this to the negative reactions. Always assumed it was from the rogue angel I had to remove and some sort of coral disease. I turned the lights back down, kept up larger waterchanges, and kept dosing trace elements. Was very subtle but I noticed some improvements over the following few weeks. The purple stylo seemed to be growing skin back on the encrusted base but the branches had been too far gone and were growing algae. I decided to make the painful decision to rip all the dead or close to dead corals out to prevent any disease and see what happens. I noticed some new encrustment on the acros, better extention from my lps, and the purple stylo seemed to be growing back soon really well. I watched over a month and saw no new decline anywhere and only improvements so when on a shopping spree to buy new corals and see what happens. Been a month since the new additions and things seem to be doing pretty well.

I decided to use this time for a nice deep clean. Took down the sump and cleaned it and all the pumps out. Putting it back in caused an issue and a bulkhead started leaking, ended up having to saw off the old piece and install a brand new bulkhead. Luckily I got it all hooked back up without 90 gallons of water on my head and no more leaks. I thoroughly cleaned the lights and powerheads, ended up buying a new lid from clearview instead of my makeshift window frame lid, and custom built a lid for the sump as well.

I'll post some updates pics when i get a chance. Plans moving forward are another ICP to make sure things look in check, rent a par meter to see exactly how much light I'm blasting at these corals, and try and figure out why montis hate me so bad. Of all the new corals I added the acros and lps look great. Every single monti and pocci faded away so I moved them to a basement tank and they seem to be recovering. Cant figure out why my new red planet and blue tort frags are showing growth, good colors, great PE, and encrusting yet simple montis and poccis just fail.

Been a journey over this past year and the tank isn't where I thought it'd be for sure. They say nothing good comes fast and I see many builds have early struggles. I'm confident if I just keep chugging along and making changes slowly and smartly eventually it'll get there. It's not all bad, I did get my potters angel in July and he's a model citizen. Also a few of my acros have grown like crazy including my Acroberry and green slimer.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back