29g Stocking

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Clarkii clownfish and a Flame Hawkfish currently in my 29g. Looking for a third fish to complete the fish stocking in this tank. Not exactly sure what I want, definitely something compatible with these 2 first and foremost.

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a wrasse. They are showy and shouldn't bother your other two one bit, a nice middle swimmer and active. A dwarf angel like a flame back or cherub would probably would work well too but I like wrasses better, just more active :)

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep wrasse for sure, good opportunity to keep a 6 line. They are cheap and very cool, but total wrasseholes which isn't a problem at all for the other fish you have. In fact watching hawkfish quarrel with other fish can be quite interesting. Just make sure you don't get a small wrasse if your hawkfish is grown at all because it can and probably would eat a six line it could fit in its mouth.

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe a yellow watchman goby. not to sure on compatibility with hawkfish though.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea wrasse was at the top of my list. Very active and beautiful varieties. Also can hold its own. I will never own a 6 line again.. had one for years and hated it lol, complete wrassehole as was mentioned. A goby of sorts was also thought about but not sure of the hawk would leave it alone. Any recommendations for wrasse *not 6 line*?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea wrasse was at the top of my list. Very active and beautiful varieties. Also can hold its own. I will never own a 6 line again.. had one for years and hated it lol, complete wrassehole as was mentioned. A goby of sorts was also thought about but not sure of the hawk would leave it alone. Any recommendations for wrasse *not 6 line*?
4 line..sorry. My favorites are the Halichoeres which are quite active and it is arguable if they would be okay in a 30g. Otherwise any of the many smaller Flasher or Fairy wrasses.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the wrasse I've seen are reccomended for 55g +. Finding it a bit difficult to find a smaller semi aggressive one that will be absolutely comfortable in a 29g. I have a good amount of rockwork with hidies and overhangs and will be stocking with plenty of corals so anything in the 30g range should be fine. Last thing I want to do is put a fish in that will not be 100% comfy and flourishing.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is part of the 'arguable' thing. I think you'd be fine with any of these fish with the fish your keeping but it is always a risk so it's your call.
20210518_090820.jpg

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t go with a wrasse if I were you...

I would get maybe a yellow watchman goby.

How big is the clownfish? How long have you had it?

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had em for about 2 years, same with the hawkish. There definitely not babies but also not as big as some of the clowns you see around. Average size @James_O
One of the bottom dwelling gobies was on my list as well, or a Jawfish. Not sure if the hawkish would leave them alone, was thinking about a pistol shrimp goby pair too but idk man. My hawkish is pretty laid back as far as aggression goes

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are quite territorial but as long as they are kept in check they are fine with keeping a territory the size of an anemone. Left unchecked they can claim the whole aquarium which I doubt has happened given that you have had the hawk the whole time. It is definitely something to keep an eye on. Adding fish to a well established community can be a risk in general. Qt helps but given that it is a small tank you could also just observe and take action if needed so as long as you have a spare 10g, a seeded spounge and some salt water mixed and ready for that possibility.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also thought about just adding a smaller flame hawk to pair up with mine. Mine came paired when I got them but lost the female a few months after. Or just getting another clarkii to pair up with the existing one. Lost the female clarkii a few months back.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had em for about 2 years, same with the hawkish. There definitely not babies but also not as big as some of the clowns you see around. Average size @James_O
One of the bottom dwelling gobies was on my list as well, or a Jawfish. Not sure if the hawkish would leave them alone, was thinking about a pistol shrimp goby pair too but idk man. My hawkish is pretty laid back as far as aggression goes
Ah ok. I would still go with the Goby. I’m afraid if you add anything else other than a bottom dweller, the clowns would be very territorial to it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back