29g sump design feedback

dmb5245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. After years of dart frogs and freshwater, I'm jumping into reefing. I'm in the process of setting up a 75g with a 29g sump (build thread imminent), but i wanted to get some feedback on my sump design before I start cutting glass. Here is the model with most of the dimensions:

sump1.png
sump2.png

• Standard rimmed 29g (30L, 18H, 12W)
  • Splashdown -> Submerged Socks -> Skimmer -> Fuge -> Return
  • Beananimal (Primary/Secondary/Emergency left to right)
  • 1/4" glass baffles. The sock holder will be 1/4" acrylic because of the big holes and geometry
  • Two 1-1/2" holes to flow from sock area to skimmer area (same as my external overflow)
  • Bubble Magnus 5 Elite Skimmer
  • Jaebo DCP-4000 return pump
I've verified that my skimmer and return pump fit and I can get the drain lines to land as expected. I'm pretty sure I have plenty of headspace for when the pump kicks off (estimating ~8g buffer), but I'll shorten the baffles if that proves wrong.

So outside of those easy checks, does anyone see any red flags? Should I steal an inch of fuge space to add a 3rd baffle to the bubble trap? Does the splashdown and sock area seem workable? I went a little fancy there because I wanted the socks to be out in the open for easy maintenance. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good; how significant are the openings from the sock filters to the next chamber? I might suggest making that opening a little more to allow the flow.

OP
OP
D

dmb5245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. A pair of 1.5” diameter holes. No reason I couldn’t add a third

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the second chamber looks to have a 1'2" wall that water needs to go over before it gets to the next section. If this is the case, water in the first chamber where it overflows to the socks is going to equally have a water level at 1'2". As long as flow is high enough or that filter socks fit snug it wont be an issue but I like having socks higher up than the water level. If the socks dont fit very snug they can float out of place and allow unfiltered water into the sump. You will also need to submerge into the water to change the socks

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to measure my sump but the 1" bubble trap may be too small and if it is can cause issues with it allowing small bubbles to get through

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I think you may have used the outer dimension of the tank at 30" and 12" while the inner dimensions are not actually that big so cutting glass for them beforehand might prove an issue. I would try to measure the inner dimensions to figure out size of the glass and acylic panes

OP
OP
D

dmb5245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great feedback. I’ll definitely raise the socks up closer to that 14” water level.

For the bubble trap, do you mean the distance between baffles should be greater?

And yes, the dimensions are a little off. I started making cardboard templates.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the bubble trap, do you mean the distance between baffles should be greater?
yea but i will double check mine first and let you know the distance between mine as that will be more helpful, I had some coming through and used lifeguard aquamesh to mitigate the issue

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back