2mp 10 or 1 mp 40 for red sea max e 170

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank and I bought a used red sea reefer max e 170. I have been watching the BRS 5 minute series for beginners. They feature this exact tank and suggest using two mp 10s for the tank. Considering these will cost just as much as I paid for the tank I am having a hard time deciding whether I should get them or something a little less pricey. However, I like the design and the features they offer and most of the reviews seem positive. I was wondering if I could use one MP40 instead or if you need one on each side. Or if I should just go a different brand all together

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re running on a budget, look elsewhere for sure, best to have both sides. Maybe a couple Nero pumps would good and to be honest I ran a few Jaebo pumps back in the day and they were fine, more important to get some random flow.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re running on a budget, look elsewhere for sure, best to have both sides. Maybe a couple Nero pumps would good and to be honest I ran a few Jaebo pumps back in the day and they were fine, more important to get some random flow.
Do you think they are worth it? The Nero is around 250 anyway. I am not on a budget yet... although I do keep finding stuff to buy

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 MP40 and 1 MP60. I do love them, no doubt about it. In the last year 1 unit has died, 1 wet side has stuck and keep in mind I have spare wet sides that I remove and clean on a 3/4 week basis. Not sure if they are as good now as they once were, back in the day they would run and run.

if dollars are not an issue then MP10 would be great, Möbius works well for control and you won’t look back at other models. I have tried 4 different pumps, gyre style as well and something always takes me back to the MP.

for cleaning use citric acid, works well doesn’t harm anything.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used just one Mp40 on my 65 gallon tank and it worked great! Check my first YouTube video

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 MP40 and 1 MP60. I do love them, no doubt about it. In the last year 1 unit has died, 1 wet side has stuck and keep in mind I have spare wet sides that I remove and clean on a 3/4 week basis. Not sure if they are as good now as they once were, back in the day they would run and run.

if dollars are not an issue then MP10 would be great, Möbius works well for control and you won’t look back at other models. I have tried 4 different pumps, gyre style as well and something always takes me back to the MP.

Where do you get your citric acid? Bought some from Amazon to clean the protein skimmer and pumps when I got the tank. Seemed to work but I used the whole bag.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another reason I was thinking about trying one mp40 is for when I eventually upgrade I could use it on another tank. However, knowing myself I will end up with two tanks

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reason I was thinking about trying one mp40 is for when I eventually upgrade I could use it on another tank. However, knowing myself I will end up with two tanks
Citric acid I bought online, 5lb bag, you don’t really need that much in the sink, just give it time to soak and let it do the work. I cleaned my frag racks tonight, soaked for 30 minutes and the coralline came right off easy.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back