Redsea E max 170 skimmer alternative (deadsilent)

zmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and hobby. I have recently started with an AIO Red Sea E max 170 system (without using the optional sump upgrade). My goal is to create a mixed tank that is mainly soft and LPS dominant, with some easy SPS like montipora. I am currently in the first few days of cycling, but I have encountered a major issue with the red sea system. The skimmer in the rear area is making a lot of noise while running. Initially, there was a lot of vibration, so I removed it multiple times while trying to optimize it. Although it is now less noisy, it still sounds like an old refrigerator. After researching on various forums, I discovered that the skimmer is known to be quite noisy. As a result, I am contemplating purchasing a new one. While I understand that adding more live stock and biology to the system may reduce the noise level, I doubt it will be sufficient for my needs. I read on the forum that there are some skimmers that are very silent, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with my E max 170 system. The Nyon 120, in particular, has been reported to be dead silent. Do you have any experience with combining the Nyon with an AIO system? Or other silent skimmer? (I don't want to upgrade to the optional sump right now).

Thanks!

AndyS598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the E-260 and also find the skimmer to be quite loud so I'm also keen to hear any good alternatives!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back