2nd try reef tank

cactusmoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am soon going to be attempting my second go at a reef tank. Well, really this will b my first REAL go at one. I attempted one about 10 years ago with little money and no knowledge and needless to say it was a complete and utter failure. So now for round 2. This time I do have the money to begin but my knowledge is still lacking.
Questions:
1. I have 3 tanks not being used. 55g, 29g, and 10g. I am planning on starting what the heck my 29g and using 10g as sump. would this b a good size prject for a beginnger?
2. With my sump, what size pump do i need to bring the water back to the main tank? (this might b a dumb question but i seen them range from 25gph- 1000gph)
3. I dont remember what this question was but i will later...

Thanks for help

papagimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - The 55g or 29g are both nice size tanks imo. My personal choice would be the 29g since I think they make an excellent species tank. If I'm going to devote 4ft for a DT, I'd just get a 75g over a 55g though. A 29g with 10g sump is definatly doable, I've done the same in the past.

2 - My last setup as such used a mag 3 return, but I had plenty of powerheads in the tank itself for flow and utilized the sump more as a refugium.

3 - 42

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Be sure to get in on our new member contest located in the contests forum.

A Mag 3 is a size of return pump from the sump to the tank.

papagimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag Drive pump , #3 model.
I"m currently using a Mag 7 now. I've used other pumps but I'm kinda partial to these for no particular reason. They'es hundred of others just as good i'm sure.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with papa...

1. Go with the 29 display and 10 sump. The 55 will be too limiting and used 75G are easy to find.

2. I used the Catalina Aquarium pumps for returns for many years. The 4000 model actually, but they tended to last 8 - 12 months. I am now using a Marineland 4500 for the last year and it is still going strong. The mag pumps are good as well.

3. 42 of course...

Happy Reefing!

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on an ocean runner pump to be back in stock, but they use half the watts of the mag drive pumps and really aren't that much more $$.

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I was going to suggest another pump. Mags are good, but in my experience they are noisy and use a lot of power. I just switched out a mag12 I have been using for over a year to an Eheim 1262 and wow, what a difference. It's so quiet and it uses 30 less watts.

I would probably go with the 29g w/ 10g sump. It won't cost as much to set up and fill with livestock.

papagimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an issue with my mags, electricity or noise. Course I really think my electrical meter on the house has got to be screwed up, my electric bill always seems to stay way to low for someone running as much. it's really no different now than it was when i had 21 tanks running. As for noise, well... have 21 tanks running and you learn to tune out certain noises lol. But i've never had to replace an impeller, never an issue with motors going out, they been very reliable for me in the past. My current mag 7 was bought used almost 5 years ago and still running strong. I would give second thoughts about putting my mag12 on this setup since the location would make that noise more noticable on that particular size pump. I do hear great things about the various Eheim's but have yet to get to test one out personally.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim compact plus, silent, efficient, small, powerfull, but pricey. Use the 55 as a display and the 29 gallon sump. The 55 has much more space, you can always upgrade later (believe me, you WILL) and a 10 gallon sump is a major PITA, no pump room, just enough for a fuge and pump, but no skimmer.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 146 40.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 184 50.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.8%
Back