2Sunny's 240 Coral Garden Cube

Kataro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that's amazing, I didnt know those bangaii cardinal were that tough.

The Evansi is an amazing fish for sure, you have not had any losses?

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on having your tank mentioned in Coral magazine the Mar/April issue of Coral Magazine...although I must say your pics on R2R are better ; )

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an interesting coral recovery story. I think this coral browned initially in response to the introduction of LEDs as an add on to my light system, but I'm glad to see that it is finally recovering slowly. Only goes to say . . . never give up on a coral 'cuz they can really surprise you sometimes with their resiliency!

November
ChristmasTreeA.jpg

January
Brown+Test.jpg

Today
ChristmasTreeRecovery.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good deal man. I too have seen some brown corals turn or turning into something to be admired. kinda gives them more value in my tank since I've seen them in their absolute worse. having been withstand some up and downs in my tank and turn out nice is awesome.

you think it'll color up some more now that it's acclimated to its new environment?

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good deal man. I too have seen some brown corals turn or turning into something to be admired. kinda gives them more value in my tank since I've seen them in their absolute worse. having been withstand some up and downs in my tank and turn out nice is awesome.

you think it'll color up some more now that it's acclimated to its new environment?

Definitely seems to be improving on a daily basis. Next mile stone I'm looking for is to see a change in the color of the polyps, but patience is the key I think. Thanks for the support and interest!

Todays interesting update is a new light fixture I've been testing for a little more than a week now. I saw this T5 VHO fixture listed and couldn't resist giving it a try. Originally I tested the 6500k lamps that were designed for it and the produced a PAR rating around 550 (tested with an Apogee meter), but then I tried UVL lamps rated for 85 watts which is 10 less than the 95 watts for which the system was designed. So far the UVL lamps have held up well producing a PAR reading of 450 with a Kill-a-Watt reading of 345 watts. I really think this fixture is the cheapest lighting one can get for a successful SPS tank. The real test will be to see how th 6500k bulbs do in coloring up my frags as they cost a mere $18 each!

Sunlight Supply Solar Flare

008.jpg

007.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited:

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an interesting coral recovery story. I think this coral browned initially in response to the introduction of LEDs as an add on to my light system, but I'm glad to see that it is finally recovering slowly. Only goes to say . . . never give up on a coral 'cuz they can really surprise you sometimes with their resiliency!
I've got one I think is coming back like that, though its not nearly as nice. Love your tank, very impressive.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see old color vs. the new color these take on. Since you have great camera skills and all :tongue:

Do you think the SPS (or any other coral) are holding their color more under LEDs? Do you think the light spectrum is too narrow to bring out anymore color? Just curious what your thoughts are about them.
Love the tank Joe. Absolutely beautiful.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got finished reading this thread..

its awesome.. and thanks for being so detailed in some of your posts.. i've learned some awesome stuff..

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. Now you'll have to forgive me as this is the third time I'm writing a response. Not sure what I did the first two times, but when I tried to post I lost all that I had written so now I'm workin' on a condensed version so forgive me if it seems short . . .

I would love to see old color vs. the new color these take on. Since you have great camera skills and all :tongue:

Do you think the SPS (or any other coral) are holding their color more under LEDs? Do you think the light spectrum is too narrow to bring out anymore color? Just curious what your thoughts are about them.
Love the tank Joe. Absolutely beautiful.

I am testing an AI LED fixture and the frags look washed out when compared to those under Radiums, but I hesitate to draw any wide conclusions based on one fixture. Look for a detailed thread in about a year.

just got finished reading this thread..

its awesome.. and thanks for being so detailed in some of your posts.. i've learned some awesome stuff..

Thanks a bunch! Your comment inspired me to reread my own thread, and now I am sorry that I didn't take the time to respond to all the posters individually. I see now that R2R has folks that are genuinely interested in open and congenial discussion, and I promise to work harder at reading and participating here on R2R. Thanks again for the complement.

Joe

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, sorry to derail for a sec, but I just wanted to let you know I updated my thread on reeffrontiers about my mag! Sorry it's been a while.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back