3.0 Experienced Newbie !!!

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far everything is ok but here is the update for today.

- Most corals are doing good there are a few being special
IMG_7484.jpeg

Are there eggs ???

IMG_7459.jpeg

Receding a little bit.

Not sure maybe nitrates maybe mag but little baby where kinda closed today
Before
IMG_7457.jpeg

Today
IMG_7483.jpeg

Might have been the snail

But also some flesh recession kinda scared so please help.

Polyps have started to close a few of them

Before
IMG_7389.jpeg

Today
IMG_7482.jpeg

For these zoas they are the only zoas acting up could they be getting to much light even though is looks like it’s reaching or maybe nitrate change not sure but don’t want them to disappear what is also weird is besides levels that are kinda stable which you can see the only change has been more light so I might move it down not sure
Here are the levels
IMG_371DA792F9CA-1.jpeg

Not sure how alk jumped because I did a dose but according to sechem I only should have brought it up to 9.0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

IMG_7484.jpeg

Are there eggs ???

IMG_7459.jpeg

Receding a little bit.

Before
IMG_7457.jpeg

Today
IMG_7483.jpeg

Before
IMG_7389.jpeg

Today
IMG_7482.jpeg

For these zoas they are the only zoas acting up could they be getting to much light even though is looks like it’s reaching or maybe nitrate change not sure but don’t want them to disappear what is also weird is besides levels that are kinda stable which you can see the only change has been more light so I might move it down not sure
Here are the levels
IMG_371DA792F9CA-1.jpeg

Not sure how alk jumped because I did a dose but according to sechem I only should have brought it up to 9.0
Numbers still acceptable. Zoas still seeking light and the skeleton on the hammers are suggesting need of more PAR and affected possibly by elevated nitrate which you want around 25

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7484.jpeg

Are there eggs ???

IMG_7459.jpeg

Receding a little bit.

Before
IMG_7457.jpeg

Today
IMG_7483.jpeg

Before
IMG_7389.jpeg

Today
IMG_7482.jpeg

Here are the levels
IMG_371DA792F9CA-1.jpeg

Which seachem did you dose? And the light change will take some time for them to adjust as spoken about. What products can you grab locally?
I find red sea magnesium is really good.. also ESV 2 part would definitely give you more precise numbers when bumping the dkH. I used to be all for seachem but that was then and now it's a toss up anytime I've ever dosed it, never worked out tbh. The chart would say to add this much and it was always over kill for some reason and no I know exactly how much water displacement from the rock and pump and such.

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which seachem did you dose? And the light change will take some time for them to adjust as spoken about. What products can you grab locally?
I find red sea magnesium is really good.. also ESV 2 part would definitely give you more precise numbers when bumping the dkH. I used to be all for seachem but that was then and now it's a toss up anytime I've ever dosed it, never worked out tbh. The chart would say to add this much and it was always over kill for some reason and no I know exactly how much water displacement from the rock and pump and such.
IMG_7449.jpeg

Dosing
Ahh ok that’s another thought I didn’t think about the dosing other stuff in the tank good thinking If I do switch can I just do it next time I need to dose it won’t cause any problems if I switch right? And should I move that hammer up on the rock
Even though as far as I can see my other hammer and frogspawn a doing good down there

And for the blasto should it be ok
Along with the zoas should I keep it there I feel like it’s getting worse

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your phosphate at? And still the nitrate is still way to high. Even 25 is high, any good shop owner will tell you it's to high.

Even today when talking to a trusted source and told him I was hovering around 12.5 he said to try and lower it with more.. his grow out and show tank only runs 1-5 nitrate and the corals he sells grow faaaast and colourful.

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your phosphate at? And still the nitrate is still way to high. Even 25 is high, any good shop owner will tell you it's to high.

Even today when talking to a trusted source and told him I was hovering around 12.5 he said to try and lower it with more.. his grow out and show tank only runs 1-5 nitrate and the corals he sells grow faaaast and colourful.
point of sale it at 0.9 how do I lower that !!! Ahhh :) :(

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7449.jpeg

Dosing
Ahh ok that’s another thought I didn’t think about the dosing other stuff in the tank good thinking If I do switch can I just do it next time I need to dose it won’t cause any problems if I switch right? And should I move that hammer up on the rock
Even though as far as I can see my other hammer and frogspawn a doing good down there

And for the blasto should it be ok
Along with the zoas should I keep it there I feel like it’s getting worse
Honestly I can't answer about the LPS. And yes you can just switch the next day if you like. I believe the Zoa's are reacting to the dkh swing as it changes to quickly. Some Zoa's just have long stalks lol but it's just very possible a snail or crab moved on by and disrupted a few heads?

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change is the tried and true method, at least in the short term. In the long term there are a few ways, skimmer, algae scrubber, refugium, feeding less, etc. could also do WC more often or larger volumes.
Op buys water from lsf so we need to find a better solution for him.

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I can't answer about the LPS. And yes you can just switch the next day if you like. I believe the Zoa's are reacting to the dkh swing as it changes to quickly. Some Zoa's just have long stalks lol but it's just very possible a snail or crab moved on by and disrupted a few heads?
I’m worried about the zoas because last time three polyps closed up for a while they never came back and have deformed form a real Polyp

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m worried about the zoas because last time three polyps closed up for a while they never came back and have deformed form a real Polyp
So your saying they melted? Zoas can take time to recover believe me. Mine are still recovering. Look at what they looked like a few days ago and now today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230814_203633_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230814_203633_Gallery.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230814_203218_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230814_203218_Messages.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 27

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back