3 Clams in a Row die within 24 hours

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am trying to figure out what if anything I am doing wrong here.

I have a well established stable tank for over 7 years. I have a sqaumosa clam doing exceptionally well for about a year now. In the past month I have purchased 3 clams (1 Squamosa 5", 1 Maxima 3", and 1 Maxima 5"). They each died within 24 hours of placement.

I did the following when I received them as I always do. Floated the bag in the water for 15 minutes then did a slow drip for 45 minutes. I tried my best to not expose them to air but one I got a little air in and made sure to burp out any air bubbles. Placed them and they did ok for the first couple hours but woke up after the night and they were pretty much dead.

Any suggestions? Anything I am missing or could be doing wrong? They were all shipped to me and not purchased at the LFS. Thank you.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's most likely a disease like perkinsus as it will spread from clam to clam. Anything from divers den is sure to have it. Also, if your losing clams that quick then I'd wait 6-8 months before adding another as I'm unsure how long it stays in the tank. I'd look into Pacific east aquaculture for future clams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, 2 of them happened to be from diver's den! Are they having issues with their clams? One of them however was not from there. As I mentioned though the one Sqaummy I currently have is doing great. Did I do anything wrong?

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, 2 of them happened to be from diver's den! Are they having issues with their clams? One of them however was not from there. As I mentioned though the one Sqaummy I currently have is doing great. Did I do anything wrong?

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This something new? How about the one I got from the other place though.

My other clam I got from them and it’s doing great. Never had any issues with them in the past. When would I even know they fixed it if they do.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely avoid any clam from Diver's Den or LiveAquaria if they are kept at their facility. I would have clams for several months, buy one from Diver's Den, next thing you know, clams I had for months would die off in a couple days and then the DD clam would die as well. This happened on a three occasions so I don't get anything from them anymore. I have received fish with ick, laterial line disease, gashes in their sides and total DOA's. Sad how down hill this company has gone since the takeover...bsa

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What take over? I usually have been very happy with all my purchases from them in the past? I will dev look into them.

What places have good fish as well? I have ordered a bunch of corals from WWC.

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have always got a lot of great stuff from Diver's Den in the past. Did they just stop caring or something?

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a recent fish order of 4 fish, in the box 2 of the fish were put in the same bag and one of the bags was empty. Live Aquaria. 3 of the 4 fish died within 48 hours.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of my experiences...gash in the side of the sailfin tang, bags not sealed properly - all fish DOA, clam looks like it had been dead in the bag for a couple of days...bsa
LA Sailfin.jpg
LA Box2.jpg
LA DOA Cocos Maxima Clam2 Mar 30 2018.jpg

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that box might have been the shipping company.

But yea they seem to be failing lately.

Box wouldn't have been so crushed if it wasn't wet inside or out. Bags were not broken, just not tightly sealed. Not even sure UPS , even though they are the worst at times handling live fish, could cause this to happen.

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am not sure if indeed it was a parasite or not. But my other clam is doing quite well. Is there anything to treat the tank of it if indeed it is a parasite?

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. What is the amount of time I should dip for? 5 min? I am not going to do anything of course unless I see symptoms. It has been fully extended and doing very well for a couple months. Just the last 3 died with 24 hours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back