3 FISH DEATHS OVERNIGHT WITHOUT A REASON. HELP!!

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've woken up and found my lemon peel angel, lamarcks angel and female blue devil damselfish dead. They were fine, eating brine shrimp the night before....all my other fish, including a maroon clown, male devil damsel, scopas tang, harlequin tuskfish, bird nose wrasse and arc eye hawkfish are all normal and active without any sign of disease.

I havent added anything to the tank for 3 weeks and water is perfect...what could it be?!?! Help or thoughts much appreciated. These fish can be seen at @australianreefing on instagram

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've woken up and found my lemon peel angel, lamarcks angel and female blue devil damselfish dead. They were fine, eating brine shrimp the night before....all my other fish, including a maroon clown, male devil damsel, scopas tang, harlequin tuskfish, bird nose wrasse and arc eye hawkfish are all normal and active without any sign of disease.

I havent added anything to the tank for 3 weeks and water is perfect...what could it be?!?! Help or thoughts much appreciated. These fish can be seen at @australianreefing on instagram
What else have you been feeding? Brine shrimp has next to zero nutritional value. More like an appetizer. Mysis shrimp provide nutrition. Aggression would be my guess for the damsels. Blue devils are insane.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else have you been feeding? Brine shrimp has next to zero nutritional value. More like an appetizer. Mysis shrimp provide nutrition. Aggression would be my guess for the damsels. Blue devils are insane.
Hi, oh brine shrimp was just a treat and enticer for the new harlequin tusk to start eating flake and pellets. I feed fresh chopped seafood, nori, ocean nutrition flakes and pellets and mysis. My blue devil has been with these fish for 2 years, and to kill its partner and another three fish overnight seems a bit strange...Thanks.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, oh brine shrimp was just a treat and enticer for the new harlequin tusk to start eating flake and pellets. I feed fresh chopped seafood, nori, ocean nutrition flakes and pellets and mysis. My blue devil has been with these fish for 2 years, and to kill its partner and another three fish overnight seems a bit strange...Thanks.
Hm that is strange then. Sorry I wasn’t more help.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm that is strange then. Sorry I wasn’t more help.
Noo, thankyou so much. I might go back a few steps and see what it could be...i do live australia so it could of been anything. Maybe temp??

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Noo, thankyou so much. I might go back a few steps and see what it could be...i do live australia so it could of been anything. Maybe temp??

This is a strange occurrence and sorry you lost your 3 fish.

Thought you said params were spot on so how much swing in temp have you had recently?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you add 3 weeks ago? Were the new additions QT’ed? Do you have a QT setup ready to go or can you set one up?

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe marine velvet. Did you qt
What did you add 3 weeks ago? Were the new additions QT’ed? Do you have a QT setup ready to go or can you set one up?
Hi, no i have never qt any of my fish over the years. There are no sign of ich or velvet or any internel parasites. Its been about a week on now and i think I've nailed it down to a spike in ammonia after increasing my feeding for the new tusk fish i added a few weeks ago...everything has settled now and parameters are fine...I'll keep an eye out

Thanks alot for the help :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back