3 for 3 dead clams...What am I doing wrong?

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam 1, a Maxima came from a LFS. It was open really far and looked great. I accidentally dosed too much baking soda, he closed up and never opened again. I found my hermits eating him.

Clam 2, a Deresa from Petco was not fully open in the store and didn't fully open for me. 3 weeks later hes dead.

Clam 3, another Maxima from the same store as Clam 1. It was open and looking great. Put it in my tank, and it never opened more than a quarter inch. Dead within 3 weeks.

I dont have a phosphate test kit, but all my other levels, checked with Red Sea kits, are all normal. My corals are all growing, splitting, and fish are doing well. I have corraline algae growing.

Where do I start to fix this problem? I really want a nice clam in the tank.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation may be an issue. Lots of stores run low salinity for a few reasons. Clams can be very sensitive.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find an honest answer about the death rate of clams in the hobby, I strongly believe you will find the reason there, I think is VERY high

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread. I would say that half the battle with clams is finding health ones to begin with. Not knocking Petco as a whole but I wouldn't buy live stock from most of their stores. I know a select few have good knowledgeable people. For them to die so quickly id guess they were not healthy to begin with.

My first clam was a crocea had that for 7-8 years was sold when I got out. I tried a very small maxima less then 2" wasnt able to keep it longer then a year unfortunately. I'm guessing not enough nutrients for such a small clam to survive. My last clam was a durasa about 7-8" when I got him from a fellow reefer who was getting out. Very healthy had it for around 3 years before I got out. Of coarse parameters play a large roll but from what I've seen they like a little n and p in the water, occasional adds of phyto doesn't hurt either especially when very small or in ultra low nutrient tanks like mine was back then.

OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 weeks ago I picked up a 4.5 inch Derasa clam from Petco. This one has been doing really well. Open all the way, every day. It has a nice fresh white stripe from new growth. Fingers crossed on this one.

OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up a 2 inch Maxima from Petco. Hopefully this one stays alive like the Derasa :)

The maxima was open as I took this photo but the pre-flash caused him to close up a bunch. It's mantle hangs over the edge of the shell a lot

20230331_192620.jpg 20230331_192628.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam 1, a Maxima came from a LFS. It was open really far and looked great. I accidentally dosed too much baking soda, he closed up and never opened again. I found my hermits eating him.

Clam 2, a Deresa from Petco was not fully open in the store and didn't fully open for me. 3 weeks later hes dead.

Clam 3, another Maxima from the same store as Clam 1. It was open and looking great. Put it in my tank, and it never opened more than a quarter inch. Dead within 3 weeks.

I dont have a phosphate test kit, but all my other levels, checked with Red Sea kits, are all normal. My corals are all growing, splitting, and fish are doing well. I have corraline algae growing.

Where do I start to fix this problem? I really want a nice clam in the tank.
A few things come to mind .
1) acclimation
2) lighting and parameters
3) when you bought them
Were they in the sand bed and when you placed them in your tank were they placed on the sand ?
And if attached to something was their foot attached , how were they removed ?

OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of the clams pictured above were in the sand in Petcos frag tank. The derasa is in the sand in my tank bc that's where they go. I put the Maxima on the rock bc that's where it goes. The light is an AI Hydra 32 running I think Saxby. They are on for about 12 hours a day and it even gets a bit of direct sunlight for a little bit during the day. Nuisance algae is almost non existent except for my snail that looks like it has long flowing locks :)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a numbers of clam diseases out there. QT clams if you have clams in your tank, especially nice and expensive ones.
The 5 clams below are my 2 CroceaI had for several years, 2 Noae I had for 4 months and 1 Derasa (from Petco) I had for 6 weeks. All are growing well.
healthy, good light and good water are all you need to keep them growing.

Now that I got the Dino taken car off, I got to retake some of these pictures. These are some of the older pictures.
ACF8806F-073F-415D-9113-F690F52B9F80.jpeg
2ED879D4-3020-49A2-9206-4E085EED201E.jpeg

80649EFB-6F96-4862-BE60-F3202C73157B.jpeg
6B86876C-D8D1-4605-884E-18F2E1B18334.jpeg

CAC0F69F-2996-4AA6-A428-778D7AFEE47C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My derasa and squamosa are currently doing really well. I'm going to go back and try and get a Maxima soon. I like there colors the most.

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation may be an issue. Lots of stores run low salinity for a few reasons. Clams can be very sensitive.
that's sooo annoying!
Before I got my rodi unit, I got water from a store that was closer to where I lived than the one I prefer to go to. I tested the salinty and I found out it was 1.021!!!

ARE YOU CRAZY MAN!!??!!???

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back