3 gal Pico tank stock

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
So this is actually for a friend, but since I will be supervising the tank until they get more skill I'm doing my own research. Got a friend whose got a 3 gallon tank with a betta and we talked about her converting it to salt water and me giving her a problematic peppermint shrimp. For stocking I was thinking also adding a nessarius snail and an astrea snail for clean up and also do add things to look at. Anyone have opinions on this? I know it's a small set up and I'm a little worried about the pep going after the snails.

Spare time

View Badges
Reaction score
Peppermints are not predatory shrimps and are more scavengers on things that are dead or dying so I would worry about that. However the salinity fluctuations of a small tank would worry me with shrimp

OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
I know and she knows. I told her she's going to have to check/top off daily to keep it stable.

OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Peppermints are not predatory shrimps and are more scavengers on things that are dead or dying so I would worry about that. However the salinity fluctuations of a small tank would worry me with shrimp
This one I'm getting rid of because I watched it eat a brand new hammer, and also since adding my 3 peppermints to my 75 I've noticed something has taken a nip off the dorsal fin of my firefish bit haven't SEEN any of the shrimp go after the fish so maybe I'm biased.

Spare time

View Badges
Reaction score
This one I'm getting rid of because I watched it eat a brand new hammer, and also since adding my 3 peppermints to my 75 I've noticed something has taken a nip off the dorsal fin of my firefish bit haven't SEEN any of the shrimp go after the fish so maybe I'm biased.
Interesting little oddball shrimp haha

OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Interesting little oddball shrimp haha
Yeah it wasn't until after this happened that I found other people talking on forums about how they have the occasional pep cause issues. Then the guy at my LFS told me he'd only recommend 2 for a 75 with everything else I have in there

How often do you have to empty your skimmer collection cup?

• Every day

Votes: 18 2.5%
  • 1-2 Days

Votes: 55 7.8%
  • 3-4 Days

Votes: 162 22.9%
  • 5-6 Days

Votes: 90 12.7%
  • A Week

Votes: 260 36.8%
  • More than a week

Votes: 122 17.3%