30" Deep Tank Lighting Help

RedRaiderReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I recently decided we wanted a large tank in our entry way and ordered a 72"x19.5"x 29.5" tank. We plan on getting into corals once the tank is established for a year or so and I need some help with deciding what lights to buy. We would prefer to have LEDs but have some questions about them with the deeper tank.

Anyone have any advice?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you mean by 'getting into corals'? If you mean softies, or even LPS, then the answer will be different than for SPS. 30" isn't that deep and there are plenty of light sytems that would suffice.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Kessil A360WE tuna Blues 6" over my 60"x24"x30" deep tank & get plenty of light. You would probably need 4. The New 360X are supposed to be better.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a solve able problem. You can do it with focused lenses, but these lead to more issues blending colors and more shadows. You can do it with more units. You can do it by also using T5s.

Generally speaking, just using 1.5 to 2x the units recommended by the manufacturer will get you most of the way there.

U

User1

View Badges
All been said / suggested already. Some off the shelf units allow the addition of a lens which will allow focus and increase par in some cases. Kessil comes to mind and it is easy to install. You can also go DIY if you choose and same concept applies - add a lens and Bob's your Uncle. You can reach the bottom.

I have a 30" tall tank and run both DIY multi channel LED's with a lens and have no problem. I also have a kessil a360x and do not use a lens. It reaches the bottom I think just fine. You can also select the corals you want, read about their lighting requirement(s), and place lower, middle, or top of the tank and solve the problem. Several ways to address the concern.

BuBBly FiSh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48" HYBRID T5HO 4X54W FIXTURE WITH LED MOUNTING SYSTEM - and either kessil's or hydra's for the center. You will need less of them and have even better coverage. That way you are set no matter what you decide to put in the tank. Watch bulk reef supply video on hybrid method.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back