300 gallon conundrum

DrewKlinee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers how is everyone doing? Hope you all had a fun and wild New Years. I recently ran into some good luck and managed to get my hands on a 300 gallon custom made aquarium with an external overflow for free! It couldn’t have come at a better time because me and my fiancé just bought our first house and instead of attempting to break down and move my 180 gallon reef tank into the the new home I am now going to just attempt to switch from the 180 to the 300gallon in hopes of a smoother transition. Out of all this great news and opportunity I have also ran into a list of issues/questions/challenges that have me hung up. My First “challenge” is actually the thing I’m most excited for is deciding what to build the stand with and where to put the tank in the first place. It’s 46x46”x32” so a big cube tank with a 12” overflow on the back so I’m thinking the middle of a room would be my best option due to the 12” it would sit out from the wall if I went that option. Does anyone have any pictures of their giant cube tank setups? I need some ideas so I can show the fiancé and talk her into the location so I’m not forced to set up in the darkest corner of the house somewhere lol my other issue is I would love to use some old reclaimed railroad ties to make the stand by fastening them together in a square and stacked a few high to get my desired height however I obviously can’t use real ties due to creosote so I’m searching for a similar replacement. My final issue and question to wrap things up is what would be the reason or use of the overflow box on the back if it’s divided into 3 sections? Am I wrong in thinking it’s an overflow box? Here’s a few pics of the tank sitting in my garage for the time being. I appreciate anyone’s feedback and sorry if for the long post or if I posted it in the wrong place I am pretty new to this site lol

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "overflow box" does seem a bit strange as I don't see any weir to it. Perhaps it was used as a simulated AIO by use of U-tubes to siphon feed it.
Stand wise, I'm a big proponet of extruded aluminum T-slot stands. Great strength with minimal space lost to structural build. You can "skin" it with whatever kind of look you're going for. Plus you can easily change things on it. (I'm constantly adding and subtracting things on my stand. It's a curse! :rolleyes: )
Here's a picture of my 36" cube with a 36" cube sump with the bottom skin off.
IMG_7504 (2).JPG

Even the "darkest corner of the house" can become the brightest.:cool:
Best of luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back