300 Gallon New Reef Tank Build

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 300 gallon all glass tank is approximately 2 weeks away from completion so I have decided to start my tank build thread. This will be my 3rd and hopefully final upgrade. I have never done a build thread before so I am open to suggestions on my thread and build.
After getting quotes and doing a lot of research I decided to have my tank built by Coast to Coast Aquariums. There are many less expensive options out there, but from what I have been able to find, Coast to Coast is near the top of the list as far as tank builders go. I will be using 7 years of reef tank experience to hopefully build a tank that will one day be featured in Tank of the Month. My new tank will be 8' x 24" High x 30" Wide. I decided to pay the extra money and go with external overflows in order to give me more aquascaping options. I am going to try and build an aquascape that is open and flowing, so as not to box out any corals with dead spots and low flow. Although my tank will be stocked heavily with SPS, I want to give my fish room to go in and out of the corals, not just left and right. I picked up the powder coated stand a week ago and am having skinned right now.
IMG_3772.JPG
IMG_3782 (1).JPG
IMG_3786.JPG
IMG_3772.JPG
IMG_3782 (1).JPG
IMG_3786.JPG

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will eventually move all the corals and fish from my current 180 gallon over 4 or so weeks from the time my new tank is setup. This tank will be housed in my Mancave/Basement. I love the look of a hard plumbed, neat and organized tank. I want a tank that is easy to maintain. The way I have it planned, the 300 gallon will be easier to maintain then my 180. There is a utility closed 3 feet to the right of where my new tank will reside. I have decided to use that closet to house my CA Reactor, Carbon Reactor, UV sterilizer and Chiller. The equipment closet will be fed by (1) Echotech M1 pump with gate valves for each equipment. The UV sterilizer will feed the Chiller which will then return back to the sump. The (4) tank returns will be fed by (2) echoteck M1's. I originally purchased an L1 to feed the 4 inputs put decided I wanted the extra security of redundancy in case one failed. After all, I am building a 300 gallon tank, no sense in cheaping out.
IMG_3726.JPG
IMG_3719.JPG

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking stand and I really like the dimensions of your tank - hoping to do the same sometime soon.

Y2KReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! I am also upgrading my 180 to a 300! Same dimensions!! My tank will be here Saturday. I will be following your build !!

I was going to go with external overflows but space was limited. I went with a single overflow in the center.

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also built a cabinet in the closet to hold the (4) HQI ballasts for my Halides. I started in this hobby with LED's and wanted to try something different. I have always had good results but problems with certain colors. I started with AI sol blues and then upgraded to Hydra 52's before adding T5 supplementation. I do think the AI's are a quality product, I just wanted to experiment with something else. For this tank, I will be running (4) 20k Radiums with (4) T5 HO bulbs. I am looking forward to the day of no longer wanting to tinker with certain color settings.
IMG_3658.JPG

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! I am also upgrading my 180 to a 300! Same dimensions!! My tank will be here Saturday. I will be following your build !!

I was going to go with external overflows but space was limited. I went with a single overflow in the center.
Thats awesome...congratulations. I am 41 but I am so excited I feel like a little kid.

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am picking up my tank tomorrow. Thought I would post some updates. My custom sump came in from Advanced Acrylics. I forgot to take a picture before I placed it under the cabinet. From Left to Right...The (2) 2" overflows return to a large refugium section. The refugium then flows into (2) 7" filter socks then to the skimmer section, finally into the pump section where I have (3) echotech M1's. Two of them will be feeding my (4) tank inputs while the other one will be feeding my equipment closet which will then return back to the sump.
IMG_3832.JPG
IMG_3829.JPG

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also finished mounting all my lights inside of the canopy. I will be running (4) 250 Watt Radium, (4) T5 HO and (1) reef brite Blue Led's for moonlight. I also installed (4) 4" ice cap fans on each side.
IMG_3860.JPG

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my current tank has wires and pipes all over the place. I really wanted to do this one very clean. I mounted a 24" x 30" piece of wood on the inside of my cabinet with holes in it where I can mount all my controllers without having wires all over the place. I have more to mount once I start taking down my other tank.
IMG_3835.JPG
IMG_3845.JPG

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man! I am curious on how everything does with the Radiums! I run a single 250 watt radium and I think it may be too much - but it could be the black boxes. We will see.

Looking forward to updates!

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man! I am curious on how everything does with the Radiums! I run a single 250 watt radium and I think it may be too much - but it could be the black boxes. We will see.

Looking forward to updates!
I will have a heavily stocked SPS tank. The rule of thumb seems to be 1 Halide per 2' of aquarium. I've always had LED's, so I am looking forward to the set it and forget it and seeing what these babies are capable of.

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pickup Day has come. Chris from Coast to Coast aquariums can be seen securing the tank inside the Uhual I rented. I was nervous as hell driving 2 hours back to my house. As you can see in the next picture, I misjudged the width of the tank and had to cut the wall open. My tank is only 30" wide, however, the scupper boxes are an additional 6" off the back, sneaky jerks!!!
IMG_3864.JPG
IMG_3868.JPG

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took me 2 days and about and 12 hours to complete the plumbing. Having a Miter saw really helps with cutting the pipes. It would have taken me forever with a hack saw. The next morning I filled the tank with tap water to leak test it. Everything looked great, but about 1/2 hour later, I noticed (2) pin drop leaks from two di
IMG_3875.JPG
IMG_3871.JPG
IMG_3870.JPG
fferent 2" bushings. They happened to be on the same run, so I cut the portion of the pipe out and redid it. 8 Hours later I started the pumps again and have had no leaks for 12 hours. I figure I am in the clear now. Next step will be to drain the tank and move it about 12 inches closer to the wall.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build can't wait to see it when it's finished! Are you going to leave that big gap behind the tank to the wall? Or is it going to be pushed back against the wall? If you don't mind me asking what did that custom tank from C2C cost to build?
Looking forward to more pictures!

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build can't wait to see it when it's finished! Are you going to leave that big gap behind the tank to the wall? Or is it going to be pushed back against the wall? If you don't mind me asking what did that custom tank from C2C cost to build?
Looking forward to more pictures!
I will be draining the tank tonight and with some help, moving it about 13" closer to the wall. C2C did a great job on the tank. 3/4" glass, starphire front and sides with (2) external scupper boxes. Cost was a little over $5000.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back