300+ Gallon Predator Tank

Giovanni Guzman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to set up a huge saltwater predator tank and I'm wondering the fish that I've selected make good tank mates with one another. Please if any of you have had experience with these fish please give me your feedback!!!! Here is the list.

Green Wolf Eel
Panther Grouper
Spanish Hogfish
Volitan Lionfish
Spiny Box Puffer
Blue Dot Stingray
Humu Rectangle Triggerfish
Pinktail Triggerfish
Hawaiian Black Triggerfish
Red Coris Wrasse
Sunset Wrasse

Will they work out???

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you may want to do is continued research on is the panther grouper, they will even outgrow a 300g and many don't think they are that attractive when they get large, myself included. There are a couple other groupers that are considered very beautiful and might be worth a look.

Research the feeding difficulties of the spiny box puffer, a qt treated with gc for parasites and started with live foods are a good tip for these guys.

The pink tail and Hawaiian black triggers both come from the Melichthys genus which would usually cause a problem, personally I would choose one and choose another trigger from a different genus.

I don't see any angels or tangs in the mix, which usually are good additions in such a tank.

OP
OP
G

Giovanni Guzman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you may want to do is continued research on is the panther grouper, they will even outgrow a 300g and many don't think they are that attractive when they get large, myself included. There are a couple other groupers that are considered very beautiful and might be worth a look.

Research the feeding difficulties of the spiny box puffer, a qt treated with gc for parasites and started with live foods are a good tip for these guys.

The pink tail and Hawaiian black triggers both come from the Melichthys genus which would usually cause a problem, personally I would choose one and choose another trigger from a different genus.

I don't see any angels or tangs in the mix, which usually are good additions in such a tank.

No tangs and no angels just true predators! You got anymore ideas for selection?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have great day of experience with predator fish and fish in general and was wondering what tank mates to avoid with a ray. Would possibly go into a 8x3 ft 650 gallon display. Tank will have large angels, tangs, a couple wrasse, clown trigger, mini grouper, maybe a stars and stripes puffer.

Also in your opinion how possible is it to keep a blue dot? Haven't heard of too much success.

Really appreciate your information and have learned a great deal from your posts!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term "predator" is used so indiscriminately I'm not sure what you mean. All fish are predators in one way or another, in the wild they all prey on something. Even many fish we consider herbivores are more likely omnivores with a herbivore dominance. I run 3 "true predator" tanks, which mean I actually feed live foods and my fish actually hunt. Large angels are as bad a predator as any other fish on your list, maybe even more so; and tangs have their purpose in an aggressive tank. So i guess I'm a little confused how one classifies a fish as a predator vs another.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have great day of experience with predator fish and fish in general and was wondering what tank mates to avoid with a ray. Would possibly go into a 8x3 ft 650 gallon display. Tank will have large angels, tangs, a couple wrasse, clown trigger, mini grouper, maybe a stars and stripes puffer.

Also in your opinion how possible is it to keep a blue dot? Haven't heard of too much success.

Really appreciate your information and have learned a great deal from your posts!

Rays are out of my area of expertise, I've never had the pleasure of keeping them. I have seen them in displays with the fish you mention. While doing your research, realize the tank size, in a tank your size I'll think you'll have good success.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Predator was a bad term. Apologies. Most organisms by definition are predators. A more accurate statement is from what I gather you have extensive experience in fish systems that house fish such as lions, scorpions, triggers, etc. I might be wrong in assuming but was wondering if you either had first hand experience with rays or maybe just some good third party knowledge.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back