Added a tang and now my tank is slowly crashing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks!

At the moment the eels, wrasse, and the goby are all acting completely normal. Fed the eels today and they all ate well. It seems the flat bodied fish are showing symptoms. The swallowtail angel has come out and to eat since this morning but perhaps less enthusiastically then normal.

Would the eels handle copper power? I haven’t treated yet but am planning to early tomorrow.
No copper for eels- General cure

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the tank!

I'll leave the diagnosis and treatment to the experts, but for copper removal:
If the rock has been exposed to copper, I've heard from a few different sources (including some in the two threads linked in the quote below) that using cuprisorb and poly filters can absorb/remove enough of the copper to make the rocks reef/invert safe again (as always, YMMV, but that's what I've heard):
I’ve heard similar to lion king’s comment from others: water changes with cuprisorb and poly filters seems to work (at least in some cases).

Some threads with examples:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

At the moment the eels, wrasse, and the goby are all acting completely normal. Fed the eels today and they all ate well. It seems the flat bodied fish are showing symptoms. The swallowtail angel has come out and to eat since this morning but perhaps less enthusiastically then normal.

Would the eels handle copper power? I haven’t treated yet but am planning to early tomorrow.
The eels will likely go off feed in copper, but they can go a long time with no food if they are in good body condition going in.
However, I wonder if the flukes are the primary issue? If so, what about trying General Cure, dosed twice, 7 days apart? You could also use copper power and Prazipro, but there will be some stress on the wrasses with that combo.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
General cure has some prazi content why recommended

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface, hogfish, melanarus, regal angel, and clownfish are all in copper QT. Couldn’t catch the others yet

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Foxface got really badly caught up in the net. Hope it’s ok and I’m glad no one got stung

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I add some of this? I added a lot of rock but I’m not sure it’s enough?
IMG_0461.jpeg

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0461.jpeg

Not sure if there’s a definitive answer, but if you’re using copper, ammonia removers aren’t generally recommended. I don’t recall exactly how (chemistry is a foreign language to me), but it has the potential to change the copper in such a way that it’s more toxic than it otherwise would be.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if there’s a definitive answer, but if you’re using copper, ammonia removers aren’t generally recommended. I don’t recall exactly how (chemistry is a foreign language to me), but it has the potential to change the copper in such a way that it’s more toxic than it otherwise would be.
No reason to add - unless you have one - you need to be checking copper and ammonia levels daily. And the cure for those are water changes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0461.jpeg
Not sure what’s in it, but it is probably a strong reducing agent. The third line says it removes copper. It won’t remove copper of course, but it will sequester it, so don’t use this with copper meds.
Jay

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eels will likely go off feed in copper, but they can go a long time with no food if they are in good body condition going in.
However, I wonder if the flukes are the primary issue? If so, what about trying General Cure, dosed twice, 7 days apart? You could also use copper power and Prazipro, but there will be some stress on the wrasses with that combo.

Jay
API General cure?

I think Im going to give everything copper. I’m worried this will spread to my other tank if I don’t. Two of my eels are fat and healthy. The third has never acted very healthy since the day I got it but has kept going for 18 months. At this point I wonder if they are naturally skinny, Myrichthys colubrinus fyi.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API General cure?

I think Im going to give everything copper. I’m worried this will spread to my other tank if I don’t. Two of my eels are fat and healthy. The third has never acted very healthy since the day I got it but has kept going for 18 months. At this point I wonder if they are naturally skinny, Myrichthys colubrinus fyi.
I’ve never run that species through copper, so I can’t project what might happen. I have run garden eels through coppersafe with no issues.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Foxface, hogfish, melanarus, regal angel, and clownfish are all in copper QT. Couldn’t catch the others yet
Copper(cupramine) or coppersafe and at what treatment level?
Some of the fish are not as tolerant as others and you may need to balance the treatment level that agrees with all in quarantine in particular hogfish and wrasse.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fact is - Ich needs a level - I would not vary the level for the copper tolerating fish as a total. Instead - the copper sensitive fish could be treated one way - and the others with the more aggressive protocol. JMHO

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never run that species through copper, so I can’t project what might happen. I have run garden eels through coppersafe with no issues.
Jay
Well same family so that’s something. It just ate a ton of salmon so shouldn’t go hungry at least.
Copper(cupramine) or coppersafe and at what treatment level?
Some of the fish are not as tolerant as others and you may need to balance the treatment level that agrees with all in quarantine in particular hogfish and wrasse.
Copper power at just under recommended dose (1 fl oz in 25 gallons) which should get me to 2-2.5ppm . I’m not trusting my api test
so I’ve got a Hanna Cu test coming in tomorrow.
I heard Copper Power is better for sensitive fish? None of the wrasse are of the more sensitive genera though.
The fact is - Ich needs a level - I would not vary the level for the copper tolerating fish as a total. Instead - the copper sensitive fish could be treated one way - and the others with the more aggressive protocol. JMHO
Thanks. At this point I think I’m just going to go for it and get copper up to the right level.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well same family so that’s something. It just ate a ton of salmon so shouldn’t go hungry at least.

Copper power at just under recommended dose (1 fl oz in 25 gallons) which should get me to 2-2.5ppm . I’m not trusting my api test
so I’ve got a Hanna Cu test coming in tomorrow.
I heard Copper Power is better for sensitive fish? None of the wrasse are of the more sensitive genera though.

Thanks. At this point I think I’m just going to go for it and get copper up to the right level.
Api will give you some type of range but Hanna should help pinpoint. Do not if possible run low to the point that treatment level is allowing disease to gain control of the fish. Copper Power is chelated and safest form

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal is not looking good. Lethargic and sitting at the bottom of the QT. This one will be hard to take as it was a rescue with HLLE and I really bonded with it as recovered.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back