has anyone ever treated display tank with copper and recorded long term issues after the fact?

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im forced into treating my display with cupramine and was wondering if anyone on here has in detail recorded a daily log of how hard it was to stabilize copper to proper levels in a display tank/how long it took to remove it/how they removed it/what issues they face long term due to doing so. if not i would like to go ahead and do that and record everything in detail not to convince people not to qt/treat there display tank with copper, but to atleast have a detailed log available on here as to everything that happens with treating with copper etc short and long term. if there is already a detailed log on here i wont bother but if there is not i will make one with pictures of daily tests on tank exact methods used to remove copper if it affected my biomedia killed copepods all of that im basically having to go all in here on it so with that being said, if it hasnt been logged ill log it and be the guinnie pig for all of you to have detailed info on how it works even if its a terrible idea to begin with ( i know its a terrible idea pls dont shame me for doing it lol ) also its not in a small tank, its a 90 gallon with 25 sump and 10 gallon refugium with tangs clowns eels blennys etc. also just to be transparent i have to do it in the display because i have damsels a mud moray and a few baby fish that are not able to be removed because of the way my rock structure is i glued it all together in the tank and yeah its not coming out the tank and the fish arnt coming out of it so.....thats why.

Suneru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added copper power to my 320gal DT system twice this year. I held it at 2.5 for 30 days. It took about 30 days both time to get it back down to around 15ppb. I used Polypads and cuprisorb to remove the copper. I plan to always keep cubrisorb in the system now.

It wipes out almost everything, so you’ll have to go through the uglies once again. I had a few hermit crabs survive both rounds of copper!

After the first round I did an eDNA test and the ich was gone. I didn’t do a test the second time, but I’m assuming it worked.
However my coral tank must have been harboring ich, because shortly after bringing back my corals ich broke out again.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added copper power to my 320gal DT system twice this year. I held it at 2.5 for 30 days. It took about 30 days both time to get it back down to around 15ppb. I used Polypads and cuprisorb to remove the copper. I plan to always keep cubrisorb in the system now.

It wipes out almost everything, so you’ll have to go through the uglies once again. I had a few hermit crabs survive both rounds of copper!

After the first round I did an eDNA test and the ich was gone. I didn’t do a test the second time, but I’m assuming it worked.
However my coral tank must have been harboring ich, because shortly after bringing back my corals ich broke out again.
Curious - did you have a fallow period for your coral? If not, the coral could be the culprit. If you did do a fallow period, that should not be the cause of your Ich?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
im forced into treating my display with cupramine and was wondering if anyone on here has in detail recorded a daily log of how hard it was to stabilize copper to proper levels in a display tank/how long it took to remove it/how they removed it/what issues they face long term due to doing so. if not i would like to go ahead and do that and record everything in detail not to convince people not to qt/treat there display tank with copper, but to atleast have a detailed log available on here as to everything that happens with treating with copper etc short and long term. if there is already a detailed log on here i wont bother but if there is not i will make one with pictures of daily tests on tank exact methods used to remove copper if it affected my biomedia killed copepods all of that im basically having to go all in here on it so with that being said, if it hasnt been logged ill log it and be the guinnie pig for all of you to have detailed info on how it works even if its a terrible idea to begin with ( i know its a terrible idea pls dont shame me for doing it lol ) also its not in a small tank, its a 90 gallon with 25 sump and 10 gallon refugium with tangs clowns eels blennys etc. also just to be transparent i have to do it in the display because i have damsels a mud moray and a few baby fish that are not able to be removed because of the way my rock structure is i glued it all together in the tank and yeah its not coming out the tank and the fish arnt coming out of it so.....thats why.
It would be interesting to see the results - and I would suggest posting it in the experimental section - perhaps with a daily spreadsheet, pictures proving you have Ich, the resolution, etc. It would be interesting. Additionally - posting the levels of copper coming from your rocks, etc.

If I were you I would try to remove any inverts/coral, etc that you can, to a separate tank - leave them fallow for 76 days - then put back once your tank is treated.

Lastly - what has caused you to need to treat with cupramine?

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting to see the results - and I would suggest posting it in the experimental section - perhaps with a daily spreadsheet, pictures proving you have Ich, the resolution, etc. It would be interesting. Additionally - posting the levels of copper coming from your rocks, etc.

If I were you I would try to remove any inverts/coral, etc that you can, to a separate tank - leave them fallow for 76 days - then put back once your tank is treated.

Lastly - what has caused you to need to treat with cupramine?
Cause I’m broke as a joke and it’s what I have on hand to treat my scopas with ich.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull all rock and bio blocks first. Copper can take awhile to remove from a system. Copper shouldn’t drop much if you have sand just watch it for a week. Also you may want to remove the sand before restarting the tank or before the copper but I recommend removing the rock

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cause I’m broke as a joke and it’s what I have on hand to treat my scopas with ich.
Thats all good:). Please do it as kind of an experiment - and post the results in the Experiment section:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pull all rock and bio blocks first. Copper can take awhile to remove from a system. Copper shouldn’t drop much if you have sand just watch it for a week. Also you may want to remove the sand before restarting the tank or before the copper but I recommend removing the rock
I believe he said he can't do that

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll most likely end up pulling your hair out trying to keep copper at therapeutic levels using cupramine, especially with rocks sucking it up. I ran it once and it was test after test because it dissipates. Copper power is my go to now. Once it's at therapeutic levels it stays there as long as you add it to your water change water but with rocks in the system it may not work so well, untill they are saturated.
It can be removed from rocks over time using cuprisorb. All of the rock in my 180 DT was treating with copper a few years ago and I house inverts etc.
I didn't keep log or anything to share.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll most likely end up pulling your hair out trying to keep copper at therapeutic levels using cupramine, especially with rocks sucking it up. I ran it once and it was test after test because it dissipates. Copper power is my go to now. Once it's at therapeutic levels it stays there as long as you add it to your water change water but with rocks in the system it may not work so well, untill they are saturated.
It can be removed from rocks over time using cuprisorb. All of the rock in my 180 DT was treating with copper a few years ago and I house inverts etc.
This is the reason for the experiment. Many people have done it - few have charted it.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is H2 O2 treatment to display tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We will see - the issue is IMHO not keeping the copper level at xxxxx instead its lowering it

Suneru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - did you have a fallow period for your coral? If not, the coral could be the culprit. If you did do a fallow period, that should not be the cause of your Ich?
I did keep the coral fallow for over 80 days at 25.7c. *I didn't know about raising the temp to speed up fallow periods. After 80 days I added some converted black mollies that never showed any ich. However I still believe the ich was in the coral tank because ich popped up almost immediately after I started adding the corals back to the DT...

Aries360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is pics of my display tank post copper treatment 8 months after initial copper addition. I ran copper for three months straight. It was not too hard to keep the levels maintained.I used coppersafe and a Hanna checker and ammonia badges. Also, prior to adding water I mixed the copper into the water before I put it in the tank so my level stays the same. I tried Hydrochloroquin which ended up killing several of my fish, including my blue hippo tang , that I had over eight years. I was battling Ich and marine velvet and brooklynella all at same time which was verified by water sampling and skin scraping of dead fish. We lost about 50% of our fish all that we’ve had for several years. I wish I would’ve not listened to anyone on here who told me not to do it and dosed my display tank right away. Five months later and I can keep whatever coral that my queen angel won’t eat. I added all the fish back I wanted to add while I had the copper in the tank so they were getting treated during the period before I put Coral in. I did three very large water, changes, and several pads of poly-filter to pull out the copper. Don’t listen to the naysayers if you want to save your fish if you can’t remove them from the tank. Our tank is 360 gallon with 40 gallon sump. Impossible to pull fish out that are still lively! Good luck

Attachments

• 4F213B33-8680-4EF5-B938-DD380067C63D.jpeg
    4F213B33-8680-4EF5-B938-DD380067C63D.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 0038E3E9-95C3-4CA1-88CC-75ED1C742A4E.jpeg
    0038E3E9-95C3-4CA1-88CC-75ED1C742A4E.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 49
  • 217FD209-D7D8-4D7E-8ABF-2638C2739D30.jpeg
    217FD209-D7D8-4D7E-8ABF-2638C2739D30.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 59

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s funny I’ve dosed my 180 gallon FOWLR twice with copper power and I have had several hermit crabs survive both times. Also have a ricordia mushroom that can’t be killed either by copper either smh. Anyways I thought I was the only one makes me a little suspect of potency of copper power. Anyhow same thing ran poly filters and large water changes to get it out of system.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny I’ve dosed my 180 gallon FOWLR twice with copper power and I have had several hermit crabs survive both times. Also have a ricordia mushroom that can’t be killed either by copper either smh. Anyways I thought I was the only one makes me a little suspect of potency of copper power. Anyhow same thing ran poly filters and large water changes to get it out of system.
I also forgot my recordia in tank when I treated, it bleached but it still grows and splits lol, all the new ones gain color as soon as they form.

Aries360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually did have a couple blue legs survive my copper treatment and all over 2.5 level and a red mushroom as well which has since multiplied . I tried to pull whatever coral i was able to reach and put it in a separate tank while treatment was going so I was able to put some back.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back