300gal mixed reef makeover

MikeyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to do a makeover of my 300 gallon mixed reef tank. This current configuration started about 14 years ago as a FOWLR tank.
Over the years it has made its way into a mixed reef tank. I've now at the point where I want to see something a little bit more visually appealing to actually satisfy my ego and my return on investment. In addition I want to provide a much better surrounding for the livestock that I have decided to keep.
For starters I want to make the tank a lot more open by removing a lot of the rocks that are currently part of the aquascape.
As I mentioned before when I started out I started out as a fowlr tank; thus the heavy rock structures.
Plus I didn't know as muck as I know today about reef tanks.
Now that it has really morphed its way into a mixed reef system I feel like I owe it to myself and the inhabitants to make it right.
I want to provide more open spaces and more room for things to swim around freely as opposed to being obstructed by these large rock pieces in the current aquascape.
So, number one goal is to space things out
2. make it more visually appealing.
3. make more room for corals.
4. upgrade the lighting for better coral growth and overall health.
Current lighting is awesome.
I have improved them a whole lot over the years since I stopped using a lot of these Chinese black boxes and all kinds of DIY stuff, and just decided to go with what I perceived to be the best Lighting in the industry and that is with the Kessil products.
At present I'm running 8 Kessil A360x on a 15-hour cycle.
I will be changing them out for the newest from Kessel and that is the AP9x.
I know it's going to be challenging moving a lot of these corals, keeping them alive and well through the transition.
I'm going to have to plan this out carefully and try to get some help from my kids and friends who wouldn't mind giving a hand.
Who knows, they could be leaving with a lot of freebies because there are lots of things in the current setup that I will not be keeping including some of the corals, and some of the fishes.
Over the next four to six weeks I'll go on this journey and hopefully ill have you guys tag along and provide me some positive input, and guidance along the way.
I will keep you updated as we I make progress

20210407_203804_HDR.jpg 20210407_203756.jpg 20210407_203752.jpg 20210407_203747.jpg

OP
OP
MikeyG

MikeyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent plan. Looking forward to seeing the progress. I suggest looking into the NicoBARs for your lighting change. I just switched to them from kessil and I love them. Way more par and better control.

I have had mothing but good luck using Kessil lights so i am sticking with them in the new setup.

Going with 4 AP9X for starters.

OP
OP
MikeyG

MikeyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mothing but good luck using Kessil lights so i am sticking with them in the new setup.

Going with 4 AP9X for starters.
Reef date April 23, 2021.
I just received my new Kessil AP9X and mounting accessories and i am totally stoked.
I will be posting an unboxing and installation update as soon as I get to it in a week or 2.
My new aquascape structure will not be delivered for another 5 weeks so I have plenty of time to play with these babies.
Plan to replace the 8 A360X with 4 AP9X over the 8ft display tank.
I will be selling the A360X and mounting arm as soon as i get these new babies setup.

Attachments

• 20210423_122753.jpg
    20210423_122753.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 47

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back