302 Aquatics, Algae Scrubber help please

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody with any kind of experience with this company 302 Aquatics, they sell on eBay, and amazon I see. I bought one, but want to know if I can get any good or bad reviews, tips, or anything.

lakereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. Very effective at removing phosphates! If you have a algae issues this will work to get rid of it. The one I have is too big and I can't run it all the time.

OP
OP
P

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it from 302 aquatics? how big is your system, and what is the model number of the one you have? what is your schedule for running it, what are your nitrates and phosphates? I am trying to use it to keep my nitrates and phosphates down to a low nutrient level to keep SPS, I can't seem to grow chaeto in my sump or even with a high power expensive reactor. my nitrates are around 25 or above, phosphates are .15 to .20. I test all my parameters and as far as I know they are spot on. I sent off a Tritan test sample just today, well see how it compares to my test kits. please and help you can give will greatly be appreciated. pictures would be even better...

lakereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's from 302. Honestly I haven't needed to run it for 6 months. I first bought it to clear up a cyano issue I was having. It's very effective at lowering phosphates. For me it kept my phosphates too low, maybe oversized for my bioload. I have the as-3 large.

I've recently started dosing small amounts of iron and have seen dramatic differences in the growth of my macro algae.

You can find system pictures and parameters here. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/210-miracles-cube.215108/

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afishionado has a 302 aquatics units in one of his setups. He has a tank build log on this forum showing the unit

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...tom-peninsula-tank.243016/page-5#post-2865270

He would probably be a good forum member to talk to. He has a few pictures of his scrubber on his blog as well:

wire_1_orig.jpg

16779771-1592370060778225-2095733548-n_orig.jpg

I also found these video about the 302 scrubbers. They seem like pretty solid units. The one Afishnato has was a custom made model and I know since then 302 scrubber updated their design. It now has two drains on the scrubber and they removed the ball valve.

Last edited:

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up purchasing one of these? If so how do you like it? Curious why they aren't using the red and blues like most other scrubbers?

OP
OP
P

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did, and returned it!!!!!. junk. also, leaks a lot of light into your sump area promoting algae elsewhere. The lights are cheap and the theory i guess is to just blast it with light and algae will grow, everywhere..... check out bud at "Turbos aquatic" best thing on the market today. always a waiting list because it's so high quality. I bought an older version because I needed something right away, and will be getting the newer version when my turn comes up on his list. The growth is tremendous,very very satisfied. takes me 10 minutes to harvest the algae once a week. that's it.... light is contained. can't tell it's even on without opening the lid to see. and that's when the room is pitched black, I still can't tell. it does use the red and blues and at the right spectrum...

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did, and returned it!!!!!. junk. also, leaks a lot of light into your sump area promoting algae elsewhere. The lights are cheap and the theory i guess is to just blast it with light and algae will grow, everywhere..... check out bud at "Turbos aquatic" best thing on the market today. always a waiting list because it's so high quality. I bought an older version because I needed something right away, and will be getting the newer version when my turn comes up on his list. The growth is tremendous,very very satisfied. takes me 10 minutes to harvest the algae once a week. that's it.... light is contained. can't tell it's even on without opening the lid to see. and that's when the room is pitched black, I still can't tell. it does use the red and blues and at the right spectrum...
Thanks, I am on the waiting list for Turbo's Aquatics for about a month, I built a diy to hold me over. I emailed them to ask about the lights but doubt I would buy it now.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find an older version to buy?

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaked from where? I don't disagree with the leaked light thing its an open enclosure, obviously light was going to reflect back off of the sides.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned one also the big 8 lamp unit. It bowed out at the top . The spay bars didn't even line up. Was told they all bow . With another piece of .49 cent acrylic this could have been fixed. They came and picked it up more drama the guy wanted to rip it off my counter while it was running . They were supposed to return it never happened they wanted to ship so they would not have to deal with me . Gave the unit away waste of my time and money.

OP
OP
P

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaked from where? I don't disagree with the leaked light thing its an open enclosure, obviously light was going to reflect back off of the sides.
"Leaked",/"reflected back". What's the difference? Bad design? Poor quality? Again what's the difference? It puts light all over my Refugium causing algae to grow where I don't want it
To grow. Do you understand the point???

OP
OP
P

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will save my money and wait on a turbo.
Either that or you can just clip a light under your tank in the Refugium cabinet and let algae just grow wherever it wants ha ha. In fact you don't even need to hang a screen, just let it grow everywhere,,,

If you read carefully the acrylic isn't even colored, ITS JUST COLORED PROTECTIVE TAPE, over whatever color or clear acrylic he got in the cheap.
If you want actual matching colored acrylic it will cost you and he had to make it special, ha ha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back