30g Long Newb Build

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intro / Background
Hello everyone... First thread (besides my intro thread). I'm doing a 30g long tank. I'm fairly new to the hobby (did it 10+ years ago as a kid) so this will be a learning tank. Going to be brutally honest about my failures in an attempt to do some learning, and maybe even help some other newbs out. I'd appreciate any tips along the way from the pros.

Goal
My goal with the tank is to learn as much as I can about successfully keeping Euphyllia (appreciate ANY book recs or big reads). Should I probably be starting with softies? Yeah... But it just doesn't interest me as much unfortunately. As mentioned, I had an old tank and we kept all sorts of softies (easy), but we always failed with Euphyllia so I want to have success with it. My other main goal is to have a Diamondback Goby (I just love those guys, and so does the girlfriend). I am debating starting with Duncan or candy cane, too. But I may just go cheap branching hammers first. Disclaimer... This is not going to be a pimped out banging tank of the month. I know this is challenging to get into, my goal is to learn as much as I can.

Equipment
So I started buying stuff as I was learning. Therefore a lot of this is dumb/un-ideal... >_<

Tank: 36" x 12" x 16" ~30g
Sump: Crystal Sump 36: 36" x 14" x 15"
Filter: Sock
RODI system: BRS 75GPD 4 stage (not used until after initial DT fill-up)
Salt: Coral Pro Salt Mix 55 Gallon - RedSea (not used until after initial DT fill-up)
Powerhead: hygger Mini wave maker 1600 GPH
Heater: hygger 200w ------> Replaced with 2x 150w Aquael + HC-810M Digital Heater Controller - Finnex (explained in captain's log)
Return Pump: Orlushy 1056 GPH
Protein Skimmer: ESHOPPS Nano (not set up yet)
Plumbing: Simple braided vinyl tubing going straight into the sump/back
HOB Overflow (didn't drill): Lifereef (shout out to Jeff.. his reputation precedes him)
Sand: Caribsea, deep sand bed... Forget actual amounts I bought
Rock: Dry live rock, ~35 pounds
Refuigum: 36" x 14" x 15" in-sump. Sand with crushed dry live rock
Refugium Light: Pico Reefbreeders LED
Bacteria Seed: Fritzyme 9 (not Turbo)
Ammonia seed: Dr. Tims
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/PH Test Kit: API

"Bro.. Your sump is more pimped out than your DT"
I know it's huge and fancy... My DT is used bought for 50 bucks with tank/stand. Reason is cause I intend to upgrade DT in a year (can't now just due to apt restriction, not financial/personal reason).. and I figure I'll buy a good sump once.

Still need to buy/On the way
Refugium Powerhead (Flow seems low due to large sump/DT ratio, low GPH on return...)
DT Lights (undecided)
Chaeto/copepods from Algaebarn (ETA 4/6/22)
CUC: 2 Conch, 10 blue leg hermits, 3 nassarius from Reefcleaners (Arriving 4/7/22)
Solidify fish dip regimen process/materials, possibly get QT tank
Same with coral dip

Debating Buying/To-do list (appreciate your guys thoughts here)
UV Sterilizer

Captain's Log

Cycling Log

3/17 - Bought tank. Filled with salt water from LFS (initial DT fill-up, all water after is my own RODI / salt)
3/18 - Ammonia 1.0 | Nitrite 0 | ph 7.6 | Salinity ? | Nitrate ? | Temperature 82f
3/19 - Ammonia 1.0 | Nitrite .25 | ph ? | Salinity 1.024 | Nitrate ? | Temperature 82f
3/20 - Ammonia 1.0 | Nitrite .75 | ph ? | Salinity 1.024 | Nitrate ? | Temperature 82f
3/21 - Ammonia 0.5 | Nitrite 1.5 | ph ? | Salinity 1.024 | Nitrate 15 | Temperature 82f
3/22 - Ammonia 0.5 | Nitrite 1.5 | ph ? | Salinity 1.024 | Nitrate 20 | Temperature 82f
3/23 - Ammonia 0 | Nitrite 1.5 | ph ? | Salinity 1.024 | Nitrate 20 | Temperature 82f *Dosed 50% initial dose of dr. tim's ammonia
3/24 - Ammonia 1 | Nitrite 2+ | ph ? | Salinity 1.024 | Nitrate 40 | Temperature 82f
3/25 - Ammonia .75 | Nitrite 1 | ph ? | Salinity 1.024 | Nitrate 60 | Temperature 82f
3/27 - Ammonia .25 | Nitrite 0 | ph ? | Salinity 1.024 | Nitrate 60 | Temperature 82f *Dosed 20% initial dose of dr. tim's ammonia

3/28 - Stopped testing cycling parameters

Other Events
3/23/22 - The Great Heater Catastrophe

So I don't know how water heater's work. I only understood you need to leave them submerged while they're on. I was screwing around with my new hygger heater, trying to get it in a good spot. Was on for about 30 mins... But decided I wanted to move it. Turned it off/unplugged it, didn't realize I needed to let it cool down ~15 min... So I fried it when I took it out. Lesson learned, read instructions thoroughly.

4/1 - 4/2

Sump arrived. Plumbed it, made salterwater. Filled it. Tested all parameters - things looked good. Ammonia/nitrite 0. Salinity 1.024, ph 8. Ready for fish I assume.

4/3 - First Fish
Bought 2 White Wyoming clowns from LFS. Acclimated by equalizing temperature, then slowly adding water from tank to each bag. DID NOT DIP. In retrospect, I think I did a poor job acclimating. I need to plan it better next time. Fish look to be doing pretty well, they were scared of eachother at first. But then one clearly took a dominant role, and they're getting along great. No fighting. Fed pellets (don't have brand name on hand).

4/4 - Fish Observations
The "male" (smaller) looks to be doing great. Female seems sluggish or something. Male is swimming around everywhere, ocassionally interacting with female. Female hanging out by lower rocks predominantly. Visually examine for any signs of illness - don't see anything. No lights the whole time (except kitchen lights). Ammonia/nitrite 0. Salinity 1.024, ph 8. Fed mysis shrimp.

4/5 - Fish observations
Female passed this morning ): Kind of the impetus for this post. Need to log these mistakes and learn from them, and seek other's thoughts. Will help me grief a little bit at least

Found female lying on sand. Removed female from tank. Male is doing great. Swimming around happily.

Pictures to come. Appreciate any thoughts/tips.

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture/Video descriptions
1.jpg - Taken this morning. Dead clown.
2.mov - Taken yesterday ~7pm
3.mov - Taken yesterday ~9pm. Some weird thing hanging off him. IDK if it was just rubble. I checked on him at 3AM - the thing was gone. But he was swimming down by the rocks lethargically.
4.mov - Taken 4/3 (two days ago) at ~5pm. Fish look healthy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.mov
    8.2 MB
  • 3.mov
    4.5 MB
  • 4.mov
    3.4 MB
OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates from the last week:

4/7:
-Added Chaeto to refugium
-Seeded copepods
-"Blacked out" refugium by adhering opaque plastic sheets to baffles
-Added clean up crew members:
  1. 2 Conchs
  2. 3 Nessarius snails
  3. 10 blue-legged hermit crabs

4/8:
-Replaced the White Wyoming Ocellaris who pased... Found a larger Snowflake Ocellaris and added to tank. They instantly got along and each has been doing great since

4/10:
-Added a small powerhead to a "dead" area in the sump... Just seems like a good idea.

Questions I'm asking myself/need help/struggling with:
-Do I "seed" coraline algae/get it in the tank somehow? Should I use those bottles.. or smash some live rock from someone else's tank? Or is that pointless.

-When can I add corals, and how soon can I add them?

-What corals should I add first? I would prefer to add a hammer/frogspawn but people have suggested Duncans instead. Either way, it will be one of those.... I don't want to waste my time on a coral I don't like for the sake of testing the tank.

-Researching dosing already... Not that I am intending to start. But trying to understand Alkalinity/Ph, Magnesium, Calcium, and phosphates/nitrates more... Just so I can be prepared when I have the stock which depletes/messes with these parameters. Also carbon dosing... whatever that is. I don't understand it and need to research it more.

-Trying to take steps to speed up my tank progression in the best way. Yes, I understand you can't rush things in the hobby. That said, why should it be taboo to discuss ways to optimally/most effectively push your tank's "progression" in terms of what corals/livestock it can handle....

-That said, questioning how long I should leave my DT lights/refugium lights on for... Basically wondering if I should try to rush along the "ugly phase" so I can get to stability faster? Not sure.

Will try to take pics sometime today!!

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Product Reviews:

@AlgaeBarn
Ordered Chaeto/copepods from AlgaeBarn. All arrived on time and in good condition... Everything is going great, also as it's a new tank/I'm new to hobby I can't tell cleanliness but it seems totally pest-free. Copepods were in good condition and are swimming all around my DT already even though I seeded in refugium. Clowns hunting them all the time... 5/5!

@reefcleaners <--- IDK if this is their handle?
Ordered all the inverts (conch, hermit crabs, nessarius snails) from them. Again all came in great condition. Immediately when I plopped them in the tank everything made a run for the hills. Only concerning things were the two conchs - but, like they said in their FAQ, snails/conchs just take longer to acclimate. After two days the conchs were swinging around on the rocks like tarzan and trying to climb up the glass!! Everything ordered is still alive... Pretty awesome. 5/5

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey like your thread. Shame about the clown.

As for speeding up the process I got my tank to progress really fast by using other peoples live rock. I also overfeed a little. Both strategies come with risk but worked for me.

I'm fairly new myself but I just added my first euphyllia, a frogspawn, and it already feels like a steal for its price. It's spread out to about 4 inches and looks really healthy. So I'd say if you see a good one at an LFS go for it as long as your tank is fairly stable (especially your alkalinity).

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current pictures... Will try to take better ones some other time:

1) Conch going wild... This guy was just doing nothing for 48 hours and now he can't sit still

2) Clown pair.... Seem to be doing great

3) Refugium pre-stock

4) Refugium post-stock
4.jpg

5) Full tank shot... Guys I know it's a ghetto setup. It's not meant to be something amazing. Bought the tank for only 50 bucks. Will upgrade within a year or so :p

6) Book, already almost halfway through. Really would appreciate good detailed book recs... To re-iterate I am aiming to understand water chemistry better / keeping Euphyllia/maximizing coral growth.

Attachments

• 1.mov
    12.7 MB
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 30
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey like your thread. Shame about the clown.

As for speeding up the process I got my tank to progress really fast by using other peoples live rock. I also overfeed a little. Both strategies come with risk but worked for me.

I'm fairly new myself but I just added my first euphyllia, a frogspawn, and it already feels like a steal for its price. It's spread out to about 4 inches and looks really healthy. So I'd say if you see a good one at an LFS go for it as long as your tank is fairly stable (especially your alkalinity).
Appreciate the thoughts/tips. I'll keep updates going in this thread :)

Back