30g tall predator tank can it work

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I know I talked to you awhile back about keeping frogfish and how they have short tanks life’s. But I thought you said you were able to keep one over the year or 2year mark what was the good source you had him in and what actually type was he if you don’t mind me asking ....

My warty is now 2 years old, and I've kept a painted for 2.5 years plus. In my research which included a couple of friends with advanced experience with anglers; none of us were able to reach the 3 year mark, so 2-3 years is a realistic goal IMO.

First off feed live food, ghosties and mollies. Size appropriate, 3 small slurps beats one large one. If you can supplement by stick feeding that's fine, but his main diet needs to be live. This serves 2 purposes; one is that it keeps him stimulated, if you know anything about predators(land or sea) you know that enrichment is the most important part of keeping them in captivity. Two is that I believe there are nutrients that will be found in live foods that dead foods can not replicate.

Watch your water quality, I've found them not to like nitrates over 30ppm, I've noted several times when an angler went off feeding; it was due to high nitrates. When the nitrates were brought down, the angler returned to his normal feeding routine.

Careful not to overfeed or feed too large of prey. These guys can eat a fish as large as themselves; and when they do, I've never seen one survive. Their appetite is insatiable, so be careful not to overfeed; in the wild they gorge then fast. So feeding a couple times a week is optimal, feed enough to produce a good noticeable bulge in his belly without his belly flopping all over the rocks(hehe).

They are happiest with lower flow and lower lighting. Provide caves, cliffs, and various places to perch and ambush. Lps coral lighting and flow seems to be fine. Although when I did upgrade my lighting to a high end led, my painted started hanging in his cave more during the max lighting hours.

I will usually at least once a month acclimate 2-3 mollies to live with him until he catches them. It provides great enrichment to his life in captivity. An occasional peppermint shrimp, which proves to be much more challenging for him to hunt down than ghosties. There's been one living with my warty for over a year. Providing this environment also heightens your enjoyment as well, watching him hunt, plot, and slurp is really the only reason to keep these guys. They do not live long when fed a dead only diet.

OP
OP
Porkchop95

Porkchop95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My warty is now 2 years old, and I've kept a painted for 2.5 years plus. In my research which included a couple of friends with advanced experience with anglers; none of us were able to reach the 3 year mark, so 2-3 years is a realistic goal IMO.

First off feed live food, ghosties and mollies. Size appropriate, 3 small slurps beats one large one. If you can supplement by stick feeding that's fine, but his main diet needs to be live. This serves 2 purposes; one is that it keeps him stimulated, if you know anything about predators(land or sea) you know that enrichment is the most important part of keeping them in captivity. Two is that I believe there are nutrients that will be found in live foods that dead foods can not replicate.

Watch your water quality, I've found them not to like nitrates over 30ppm, I've noted several times when an angler went off feeding; it was due to high nitrates. When the nitrates were brought down, the angler returned to his normal feeding routine.

Careful not to overfeed or feed too large of prey. These guys can eat a fish as large as themselves; and when they do, I've never seen one survive. Their appetite is insatiable, so be careful not to overfeed; in the wild they gorge then fast. So feeding a couple times a week is optimal, feed enough to produce a good noticeable bulge in his belly without his belly flopping all over the rocks(hehe).

They are happiest with lower flow and lower lighting. Provide caves, cliffs, and various places to perch and ambush. Lps coral lighting and flow seems to be fine. Although when I did upgrade my lighting to a high end led, my painted started hanging in his cave more during the max lighting hours.

I will usually at least once a month acclimate 2-3 mollies to live with him until he catches them. It provides great enrichment to his life in captivity. An occasional peppermint shrimp, which proves to be much more challenging for him to hunt down than ghosties. There's been one living with my warty for over a year. Providing this environment also heightens your enjoyment as well, watching him hunt, plot, and slurp is really the only reason to keep these guys. They do not live long when fed a dead only diet.

THanks for the response did you keep your ghost shrimp in a planted aquarium since I’m noticing a lot of people seem to to this or they just in a constant go shopping for pet .... and did you ever feed any other saltwater fish besides the mollies ..[emoji28] sorry if I’m pestering with questions I just wanna get as much info as possible befor I try to jump in and I find a lot of stuff online hard to believe since I don’t know if it’s actually backed with real fish keeping

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THanks for the response did you keep your ghost shrimp in a planted aquarium since I’m noticing a lot of people seem to to this or they just in a constant go shopping for pet .... and did you ever feed any other saltwater fish besides the mollies ..[emoji28] sorry if I’m pestering with questions I just wanna get as much info as possible befor I try to jump in and I find a lot of stuff online hard to believe since I don’t know if it’s actually backed with real fish keeping

If you've noticed I try to limit my responses to subjects that I have direct real life experiences, not repeating internet folklore. Fish keeping and reefing is not absolute and as much as something may make sense on paper, real life doesn't work out that way. When you dig deeper you'll find several factors that will lead to success or failure. My experiences are just that, my experiences and real life observations. There's always another way or perspective, mine is just an option for your consideration.

I keep a 10g with a sponge filter for my ghosties, i feed them a variety of marine micro pellets and flake foods. I occasionally do a selcon/multivit soak before I feed to further enhance nutrition. I feed several live eating predators and usually get the mollies on demand. Although I will keep mollies with my ghosties occasionally, I keep them in fresh water; you could use something like a large tuperware(plastic) container. Mollies and ghosties are easily acclimated to salt water, in the wild the ghosties you see live in fresh, brackish, and salt water and mollies actually do better long term in salt vs fresh, they are primarily a brackish fish. I will not feed my predators salt water fish because of the chance of disease, it will be a very unusual thing if a molly coming from a fresh water source will carry a disease into a salt water tank. I will feed saltwater peppermint shrimp as long as they come from an invert only system, but this is an expensive meal that I provide occasionally as a spoiled treat. I have a friend who owns an lfs and he'll get me a bag of 10 for $40.

OP
OP
Porkchop95

Porkchop95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've noticed I try to limit my responses to subjects that I have direct real life experiences, not repeating internet folklore. Fish keeping and reefing is not absolute and as much as something may make sense on paper, real life doesn't work out that way. When you dig deeper you'll find several factors that will lead to success or failure. My experiences are just that, my experiences and real life observations. There's always another way or perspective, mine is just an option for your consideration.

I keep a 10g with a sponge filter for my ghosties, i feed them a variety of marine micro pellets and flake foods. I occasionally do a selcon/multivit soak before I feed to further enhance nutrition. I feed several live eating predators and usually get the mollies on demand. Although I will keep mollies with my ghosties occasionally, I keep them in fresh water; you could use something like a large tuperware(plastic) container. Mollies and ghosties are easily acclimated to salt water, in the wild the ghosties you see live in fresh, brackish, and salt water and mollies actually do better long term in salt vs fresh, they are primarily a brackish fish. I will not feed my predators salt water fish because of the chance of disease, it will be a very unusual thing if a molly coming from a fresh water source will carry a disease into a salt water tank. I will feed saltwater peppermint shrimp as long as they come from an invert only system, but this is an expensive meal that I provide occasionally as a spoiled treat. I have a friend who owns an lfs and he'll get me a bag of 10 for $40.

And just that mindset keeps my on this site .. and that’s a steal for the shrimp ... and alright if I think of anything else I’ll give you a ring

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back