30g tall predator tank can it work

Porkchop95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a 30g tall show tank with a 10g sump system and I’m finally at the point of putting in fish any one have good ideas for the best success. I’m currently looking into some of the smaller dwarf lions and frogfish/anglers
9ee739e299e75113bce3976ec0ea796b.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wartskin angler could work in that tank, I think a dwarf lion would need more horizontal swimming space. If it's your only tank, I wouldn't suggest an angler. An angler can get rather boring by itself, very limiting if you ever wanted to add, Maybe a dwarf golden eel.

OP
OP
Porkchop95

Porkchop95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wartskin angler could work in that tank, I think a dwarf lion would need more horizontal swimming space. If it's your only tank, I wouldn't suggest an angler. An angler can get rather boring by itself, very limiting if you ever wanted to add, Maybe a dwarf golden eel.

Thanks for the feed back. I was worried about it become boring if I went with just the one angler and I don’t think they do well in pairs .... but would the eel use the full tank or just sit on the bottom is my worry ?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll likely be at the bottom, usually tucked away poking out now and then; such the way as all the little predators you are talking about. Being a tall tank you are kind of limited. With the eel you could actually have room mates. Something like a flame hawkfish and a dwarf golden eel would make a cool little predator tank. Put some live ghost shrimp in and watch how efficient that hawkfish is, they are bad a.. and under rated.

OP
OP
Porkchop95

Porkchop95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feed back and I was thinking of adding a flame hawk fish or a black cap basselt with ether the angler or another predator that is ok with the smaller tanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feed back and I was thinking of adding a flame hawk fish or a black cap basselt with ether the angler or another predator that is ok with the smaller tanks

Not with the angler. Anglers can eat a fish the same size as they are, and they will. For the most part I've found anglers kept best in a species only tank, or with a scorp or lion. Painted anglers will even eat dwarf lions.

OP
OP
Porkchop95

Porkchop95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not with the angler. Anglers can eat a fish the same size as they are, and they will. For the most part I've found anglers kept best in a species only tank, or with a scorp or lion. Painted anglers will even eat dwarf lions.

Well then I’m ether left with multiple anglers possibly or some other predator as the star of the tank .... haha or I scrap it all and go back to the simple reef concept then

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then I’m ether left with multiple anglers possibly or some other predator as the star of the tank .... haha or I scrap it all and go back to the simple reef concept then

Anglers will also cannibalize each other. I've kept a few anglers and took about 5 years tracking about 20 anglers, only 3 made it to 1 year and 2 over 2 years. Most died within weeks or just a couple, few months. They have a very high mortality rate and don't live very long for most. I have alot information if you decide to pull the trigger on an angler. The fascination with them also wains for most; if you don't feed a live diet, they become an ornament and will stop eating all together in a short time. After my research and personal experiences, I believe these guys are best left in the ocean; most people will never do these guys justice.

OP
OP
Porkchop95

Porkchop95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglers will also cannibalize each other. I've kept a few anglers and took about 5 years tracking about 20 anglers, only 3 made it to 1 year and 2 over 2 years. Most died within weeks or just a couple, few months. They have a very high mortality rate and don't live very long for most. I have alot information if you decide to pull the trigger on an angler. The fascination with them also wains for most; if you don't feed a live diet, they become an ornament and will stop eating all together in a short time. After my research and personal experiences, I believe these guys are best left in the ocean; most people will never do these guys justice.

Well shot well said and yea I keep going back and forth with what to do with this tank and I’m prolly going to start it with more of a simple mix reef then move to a predator later down the road once it’s become stable and reliable. And just to revisit you think the 30tall wouldn’t be well suited for a dwarf fuzzy or a fumanchu lion right? Cause those guys look so cool and prolly won’t be as aggressive to eat wrasses or any other fish that are of equal size in comparison to the angler

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well shot well said and yea I keep going back and forth with what to do with this tank and I’m prolly going to start it with more of a simple mix reef then move to a predator later down the road once it’s become stable and reliable. And just to revisit you think the 30tall wouldn’t be well suited for a dwarf fuzzy or a fumanchu lion right? Cause those guys look so cool and prolly won’t be as aggressive to eat wrasses or any other fish that are of equal size in comparison to the angler

Although my fu manchu swims alot, most don't and the way they swim is a crack up. They are a bit more challenging to keep, I would have no problem keeping one in that tank. Feeding can be difficult, if you do get one and need help just post. Build your rocks up high with cliffs and caves, it could actually be neat for fu. A fuzzy swims a bit more and swiftly, personally I wouldn't put one in less than a 36" tank.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year ago @Lionfish Lair did a thread on nano predator tanks , really awesome thread and recommendations for predator fish , sorry I don’t remember the actual thread but you can do a search on her threads.

OP
OP
Porkchop95

Porkchop95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although my fu manchu swims alot, most don't and the way they swim is a crack up. They are a bit more challenging to keep, I would have no problem keeping one in that tank. Feeding can be difficult, if you do get one and need help just post. Build your rocks up high with cliffs and caves, it could actually be neat for fu. A fuzzy swims a bit more and swiftly, personally I wouldn't put one in less than a 36" tank.

Thanks for the feed back and will do but the lion should be added last do to the aggression right ?

OP
OP
Porkchop95

Porkchop95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year ago @Lionfish Lair did a thread on nano predator tanks , really awesome thread and recommendations for predator fish , sorry I don’t remember the actual thread but you can do a search on her threads.

Thanks for the feed back and I couldn’t find the thread you were talking about so if you come to remember it shot me a message plz.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fu isn't really aggressive, really most lions aren't how you are thinking. They are called aggressive because they will eat what ever fits in their mouth. I've watch my fu eat fish more than 1/3 his size, they are sneaky cool how they hunt challenging prey.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feed back and I couldn’t find the thread you were talking about so if you come to remember it shot me a message plz.
I’ll do a search and let you know:)

OP
OP
Porkchop95

Porkchop95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newest updates this stock list all depends on if i can’t get a fuzzy dwarf any clue how they would act with a sea anemone in the ya k with them
634287f59c3b3c25cadd8ba938e328c9.jpg

So fare I’ve added a couple of clowns and some snails and an anemone but didn’t realize it’s the only kind that clowns will not host so no clue what will happen with that one it may be replaced with a bubble tip and if I can get them to be happy I may do a manly anemone scape then .. future fish list will prolly include possible gobi , hawk fish possible tobacco Bassett or black cap basket ... another possible would be a six line wrasse but I know they can get aggressive later on .... and some shrimp but not sure on specifics for corals go I know I want a gsp island I like the hammer corals and prolly a zoanthid rock with multiple kinds on one rock but not entirely sure of what else

OP
OP
Porkchop95

Porkchop95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fu isn't really aggressive, really most lions aren't how you are thinking. They are called aggressive because they will eat what ever fits in their mouth. I've watch my fu eat fish more than 1/3 his size, they are sneaky cool how they hunt challenging prey.

Hey I know I talked to you awhile back about keeping frogfish and how they have short tanks life’s. But I thought you said you were able to keep one over the year or 2year mark what was the good source you had him in and what actually type was he if you don’t mind me asking ....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back