310 Gallon Build - More support or not?

korsonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After waiting 2 months on headers for my new kitchen I finally get to order my tank next week. I've done a ton or research on support but this seems a little outside the the box..

Planned tank is a 310 gallon Planet aquarium (96x24x30). I’ve talked with a couple of architects who’ve told me I “should be fine” but seemed they did the math based on standard floor load calculations, not my particular situation.

The tank is in the center/bottom of the drawing. It’s a little off scale since we bumped it up fo a 8 footer and reduced width to from 30” to 20" but it will remain centered on the island. Everything else is basically to scale. The walls marked in pink are load bearing with 8” steel beams and lally columns below (drawn in). Once our headers will be installed above. They will be flush with the ceiling and walls, giving us a “vanilla box”.

The bottom beam and the one that goes under the tank also have load bearing 2x4 construction under the 8’ steel in addition to lally columns and foundation support. As you can see, the tank will be sitting on one steel beam (left) and parallel to another (bottom). The right 2/3 of it will be supported by two 9 1/2” x 7’ rafters. And herin lies my concern..

I know that large tanks should be ideally be placed against exterior, load bearing wall, with joists perpendicular to the tank. In this case have two joists are just 7’ long but will only be supporting part of the tank. I also have a steel beam under a third of it and another one 2 feet away from the other side. I’m being told 2 feet shouldn’t be enough for deflection. It seems like I could park a tank here..

I considered putting a jack under the right hand side of the tank near the steel beam(right) and/or sistering in an extra joist since I can have access from above through the sub floor right now. Im open to considering any options.

My friends in construction are telling me this is the strongest part of my house and I’m WAY overthinking it. I’m going from oak floors to radiant, mud and tile. This weighs WAY more than my tank in parts of the room that aren’t fully supported. Nobody, including architect, is blinking an eye at that or throwing and extra 3000lbs of steel in the ceiling above. Nor are they concerned with redirecting the weight of my second floor through these same channels. What would you do?

Many thank in advance.

Sent from my iPhone
Image-1.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust the professionals
Nobody, including architect, is blinking an eye at that or throwing and extra 3000lbs of steel in the ceiling above. Nor are they concerned with redirecting the weight of my second floor through these same channels.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably correct that you do not need any more support. On the other hand, you can install a jack post under the right side of that tank for $100 or less. To me, that is a very small price to pay for more peace of mind.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back