Do I need additional floor support? I believe I have the ideal spot, picture included.

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In an effort to subdue Tang aggression I purchased a longer aquarium that I believe weighs a little over 3000lbs when filled. I'm seeking advice on whether I should consider additional support for the floor before installation. I believe its in the most ideal spot, along an outside wall, steel beam under part of the tank, and short floor joist lengths. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Basement Floor.jpg

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that metal beam is great....i would just add some sister boards (2x4's) following same direction....but just IMO

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I would do. Set the tank here I like, make certain it is nice and level. Start filling it and make sure level isn't changing as it fills. Once fill give it a "shake" test. If it budges then shore it up. Stand next to it and kind of bounce ad watch for ripples in the water. With it running at an angle to the joists, hard to say what is holding what. With the access to the bottom like that it should be easy to watch and build up if needed. So close to the steel is good too.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an effort to subdue Tang aggression I purchased a longer aquarium that I believe weighs a little over 3000lbs when filled. I'm seeking advice on whether I should consider additional support for the floor before installation. I believe its in the most ideal spot, along an outside wall, steel beam under part of the tank, and short floor joist lengths. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Basement Floor.jpg
Im having the same dilemma in my house, similar floor too. What size is your tank?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineered floor trusses are pretty strong. In your case, I wouldn't worry about anything. You're more than fine.
Is this what youre talking about?? Looks like OP’s level is the same or similar, cousin sent me this who is in construction

Attachments

• IMG_3320.png
    IMG_3320.png
    502.7 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
O

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you all for the suggestions and reassurance! I will most likely sister a few boards just in case, monitor the floor while filling, and do a few shake tests.

The tank arrived and was unboxed for inspection yesterday, Reefer S1000 G2+.

IMG_8283.jpg

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have any problem putting that tank there. Steel beam and concrete on a short rafter run. Maybe sister them up if you're uncomfortable. Too bad the door is there. A stringer would solve any questions about it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back