3155 vs nano output

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 3155 since the 3152 are out of stock everywhere, due to I guess chip shortages?

If I turned the 3155 controller down to nano is the water output the same as the nano controller?

If not is there any ETA on the 3152?

Thanks.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow rate is the same, but the Osmolator overfills for 5-10 seconds, the Nano for only 3, on tanks under 30 gallons, you typically need a valve to further restrict the flow to compensate for this overfill, which while only about a tablespoon can be problematic on a very small system. Nano Osmolators will start to come in again in December, yes, we ran out of the chips in May and we have them now, but producing the boards and finished product as well as shipping all take additional time.

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was a little worried about overfilling and when I turn it off and back on and with Floridas sporadic power outages the 3155 will purge the line for 10-15 secs. That’s a long time on a 15g if I’m not home to catch it.

With your new ATO that was supposed to be released this year
with the redesigned pump and controller, will it be for nano tanks too?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this can be a problem, the start up fill is longer and is about 1/4 cup in the nano setting but this can typically be worked around by adding a drip irrigation valve to the end of the hose to slow the flow even more. A UPS could solve this in this power scenario and would not need to be more than the most basic small unit.

The Osmolator 2 you have seen is the replacement for the Nano Osmolator, we have finally gotten a delivery date for all the electronics and it looks like it should be launching around May 2023. It won't be as limited in tank size and my understanding is it will handle 10-150 gallon tanks, there will be a much more sophisticated version launching later to replace the regular Osmolator. For a considerable time both the old and new units will be produced as supply issues will persist for a while on electronics and some people will always prefer a more tried and true solution.

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, thanks!

I like the 3155 with the added float valve for extra protection but I think I’ll wait for the 3152 to get back in stock and then get the new version next year when it comes out.

I had the 3155 on my 25g lagoon and used the drip irrigation valve and even made a little y adapter using one in the ato reservoir too but it was a pain always having to remember to turn it back off after the power was turned back on so the water went back up the line to the tank instead of going back in the ato reservoir.

Thanks for the help again!

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this can be a problem, the start up fill is longer and is about 1/4 cup in the nano setting but this can typically be worked around by adding a drip irrigation valve to the end of the hose to slow the flow even more. A UPS could solve this in this power scenario and would not need to be more than the most basic small unit.

The Osmolator 2 you have seen is the replacement for the Nano Osmolator, we have finally gotten a delivery date for all the electronics and it looks like it should be launching around May 2023. It won't be as limited in tank size and my understanding is it will handle 10-150 gallon tanks, there will be a much more sophisticated version launching later to replace the regular Osmolator. For a considerable time both the old and new units will be produced as supply issues will persist for a while on electronics and some people will always prefer a more tried and true solution.

I have another question about adding a little valve to control the pumps water output.

Let’s say I turn the valve almost to the closed position so it’s just dripping water out, would that damage the pump at all long term?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was severely restricted, possibly, but I don't know and would think the main issue is the pump getting hot, the power consumption drops when restricted but water flowing is what cools the motor. My hunch is it would shorten the life if it was a drip, probably would make no difference if it was at least a slow trickle.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back