Tunze 3155 pump buzzing but not turning..can it be taken apart to clean, etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The metering pump on my Tunze 3155 is not pumping water. I can hear it buzzing, but it is not turning. Can it be soaked in vinegar or taken apart? It looks to be sealed. Thought I would ask before I give it a vinegar bath to try and salvage it.

Any advice is appreciated.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is it? These pumps generally last 2-3 years and are simply replaced, they are readily available and not very expensive, about $30. They are sealed, unless it was used in kalkwasser, vinegar is unlikely to change anything. You might try just tipping it upside down while submerged in case the issue is air trapped in the impeller well keeping it from priming.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is it? These pumps generally last 2-3 years and are simply replaced, they are readily available and not very expensive, about $30. They are sealed, unless it was used in kalkwasser, vinegar is unlikely to change anything. You might try just tipping it upside down while submerged in case the issue is air trapped in the impeller well keeping it from priming.
Hello. I did order one off amazon yesterday to at least have a spare on hand as I have three Tunze ATO's across a few tanks. I did swap pumps and confirmed that was the issue. It is also right around 2-3 years of age, so looks like it reached EOL. Thanks for the reply, and should be back in business once the replacement arrives later today.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good that you're getting one coming but I did just deal with a similar situation. You should be able to see the impeller on the bottom, I was able to manually turn mine a couple turns using I think a screwdriver. After turning a couple times it started working.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Aaron75, I tried the same thing and it would spin once or twice and stop. For $30 it's a simple fix to replace and now I ordered an extra to have on hand since I have 3 of these across my tanks. I travel quite a bit, so it is critical that my ATO's work when I am out of town. and having a spare on hand is an easy fix for anyone to swap out if there is a failure. Basically added this part to my Disaster Recovery Box.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back