Problem with Tunze 3155 osmolator ATO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, the sensor on my Tunze 3155 ATO clouds and stops functioning when I dose phytoplankton. I don’t even dose much : 2 small capfuls in a 135 gallons tank. I know how to fix it but it’s just not practical and doable on a daily basis (I gently rub the sensor).

This is very annoying because I like my system very silent and when the ATO stops working, I need to rebalance the system and it can take hours (new at having a sump so maybe not totally efficient yet). The dripping noise just drives me mad.

There must be something I can do to fix that ? I can’t believe everyone fiddles with their system every 2 days because they are dosing phyto ?

If this is not fixable, do you have a suggestion for a Tunze ATO that’s very reliable but would keep working whatever I dose in the tank ?

Thanks for your help.

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have your problem as I dose into the main display. My Tunze ATO is in my sump. I found out that when I put phyto into the brine shrimp hatchery that an algae grows and build up on the sieve and will also clog it. I take it that you don't have a sump.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have your problem as I dose into the main display. My Tunze ATO is in my sump. I found out that when I put phyto into the brine shrimp hatchery that an algae grows and build up on the sieve and will also clog it. I take it that you don't have a sump.
Yes, I do have a sump and the ATO is in the sump. I dose phyto into the main display, not the sump.

@rvitko any idea ?

Last edited:

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by making sure the sensor is immaculately clean, debris collects more debris, take it off the magnet, soak it in vinegar for an hour, wipe with a soft towel. This would be an odd problem, if the sump has any illumination, the phyto might be growing on the surface, the illumination itself if it is growlight spectrum can also blind the sensor. I have not encountered this before, the main culprits tend to be kalkwasser dosing or any buffer/ca dosed near the sensor, especially if the flow near the sensor is really low. Refugium grow light will also blind the sensor as it emits infrared. I do not have much experience with phytoplankton.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by making sure the sensor is immaculately clean, debris collects more debris, take it off the magnet, soak it in vinegar for an hour, wipe with a soft towel. This would be an odd problem, if the sump has any illumination, the phyto might be growing on the surface, the illumination itself if it is growlight spectrum can also blind the sensor. I have not encountered this before, the main culprits tend to be kalkwasser dosing or any buffer/ca dosed near the sensor, especially if the flow near the sensor is really low. Refugium grow light will also blind the sensor as it emits infrared. I do not have much experience with phytoplankton.
I’ve had the same problem for almost 3 years with this sensor now so I don’t think it’s going away.

Any other good Tunze ATO without this type of sensor I could get ?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have never heard of a phyto induced sensor issue, I would strongly consider sending it for repair, the Osmolator 3 has an optic sensor with a wider field angle so it is less susceptible to such issues but I would suspect something is going on with the calibration of the sensor most likely. The Nano Osmolator uses a float but given the short fill time safety, it is not suitable for anything over 55 gallons.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have never heard of a phyto induced sensor issue, I would strongly consider sending it for repair, the Osmolator 3 has an optic sensor with a wider field angle so it is less susceptible to such issues but I would suspect something is going on with the calibration of the sensor most likely. The Nano Osmolator uses a float but given the short fill time safety, it is not suitable for anything over 55 gallons.
Where do I send it for repair in Canada ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back