Tunze ATO 5017 - Optical Sensor?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone! I have a Tunze 5017 ATO and I think the optical sensor is no longer functioning. When power cycling the device, the pump runs and comes on, the lights flash, and then it says the water level is fine. I can move the sensor and it never reads that it's not in the water. The pump does work when power cycling, and the float switch works if you move it up to simulate a run away fill, but the system does not come on when the water is "low". Any suggestions? I looked for a replacement sensor, but it doesn't look like they sell them. The sensor is clean or any build up or gunk as well. I haven't soaked it in vinegar yet, but I am not sure what that would do to help it unless there is something I can't see that is affecting the sensor.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to check the sensor off the magnet, often the issue is just a dull haze of mineral deposits or build up on the back against the magnet. Also, rule out a source of infrared, growlight spectrum lighting can blind the sensor. We do replace sensors, we do not sell them outright as when a sensor is replaced we need to recalibrate it, in some cases, calibration is the only issue. On units made before mid 2019, we also have to replace a resistor on the board to account for a change to the LED in the sensor. We cannot repair anything older than mid 2015. I am out of sensors for about 2 weeks, they are $29.49 installed.

OP
OP
C

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to check the sensor off the magnet, often the issue is just a dull haze of mineral deposits or build up on the back against the magnet. Also, rule out a source of infrared, growlight spectrum lighting can blind the sensor. We do replace sensors, we do not sell them outright as when a sensor is replaced we need to recalibrate it, in some cases, calibration is the only issue. On units made before mid 2019, we also have to replace a resistor on the board to account for a change to the LED in the sensor. We cannot repair anything older than mid 2015. I am out of sensors for about 2 weeks, they are $29.49 installed.
Awesome. It is not soldered. I already took the controller apart and plugged it back in. Is it common for these sensors to just stop working? I'm going to soak it in vinegar just to try to see if it works. The unit is second hand, so I might just buy a replacement.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is based on an infrared LED and infrared receiver and being on continuously, the lifespan generally is around 5 years, we do sometimes encounter units that fail earlier and sometimes last a lot longer.

OP
OP
C

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got you. Might just be easier to ship it to you and pay the $30 when you get the sensors in. I think the senor is just dead. How does one go about shipping it in so I can get in line for a new sensor?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We generally always have sensors, this is a small glitch in delivery as I asked that they hold a shipment until some other products were ready to come along with it. It is definitely worth having repaired and when the sensors come in, I will have plenty.

Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Be sure to include your contact and return info in the box.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back