32.5 gallon CUC stocking

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bear Claw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bear Claw

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 16, 2021
Messages
501
Reaction score
188
Location
Raleigh, North Carolina
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 month old Fluval Flex 32.5 gallon reef tank. Im looking to get a better CUC. For fish I have 2 mocha ocellaris clowns and a diamond goby. Heres what I have as a CUC right now:

2 Nassarius Snails
10 hermits (variety)
4 Astrea Snails

I know its definitely not as much as I should have. Any suggestions?
 
Get Trochus, Nerite and Cerith they kinda cover all the bases and can all flip themselves over if they fall.
 
I'll ad I have 2 largish shrimp (Peppermint and Bald) and a chit load of babies from both running around plus a very large number of amphipods and crabs. All play a part in my CUC. My sand is picked clean. The 1 Astraea stays on the glass and 1 on the rock. I also have a medium to large long spine urchin.
I want the algae growing for it.
 
I recommend 0.75 to 1 snails (not including nassarius) per gallon depending on rock work. I would get a variety of species (turbo, cerith, astrea, nerite, trochus). And 0.5 to 0.75 hermits per gallon (scarlet, blue leg, Mexican red leg). And then 0.25 nassarius per gallon and a fighting conch for every 30 gallons (skip this if you have a lot of corals on your sand bed). IMO, most people vastly understood their CuC. Also, don’t add them all at once, add them over a couple months. You’ll also need to replace some once a year or so as you’ll likely lose a few each year.
 
I was really shocked to see how much work a single turbo can do. I think you should add one of these. They do great with all kinds of algae, and eat some kinds that others won't touch. At one point I had one that completely cleared 3x3 areas of hair algae down to bare rock each night.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new