32 gallon Biocube thread post pics of your or questions on it!

stephydawn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8F91FF23-F3C9-4861-8B7D-D325D82CB99B.jpeg

My green hair algae is slowing but surely going away. I had two aiptasia in the tank but the two peppermint shrimp took care of that. I’m still trying to decide what fish to add next. I’d like to add all my fish first so they are all small to start. I thought if I do a wheeler goby (seems like they stay smaller than the watchman) and a pistol shrimp and a small variety of blenny I can maybe push it and add one more fish that swims around the top and middle a lot. I can’t decide on a Six line wrasse, royal gramma, a chromis or damsel of some sort,, A banggai cardinal, a falco hawkish, or a long nose hawk fish. It’s hard to be so limited in size, I want them all!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My green hair algae is slowing but surely going away. I had two aiptasia in the tank but the two peppermint shrimp took care of that. I’m still trying to decide what fish to add next. I’d like to add all my fish first so they are all small to start. I thought if I do a wheeler goby (seems like they stay smaller than the watchman) and a pistol shrimp and a small variety of blenny I can maybe push it and add one more fish that swims around the top and middle a lot. I can’t decide on a Six line wrasse, royal gramma, a chromis or damsel of some sort,, A banggai cardinal, a falco hawkish, or a long nose hawk fish. It’s hard to be so limited in size, I want them all!
My only comment about the goby and the pistol depends on whether you like a neat tank. Our tank came with a pair.. my husband LOVES them. And I admit they are cool. HOWEVER the pistol is constantly rearranging the left side of my tank and throwing and shifting sand everywhere. This is has my OCD in full blown eye twitch.. hahaha JK but it will affect what corals I can add or not be able to add over there once I’m ready.

Attachments

• 5F489BA1-F51B-4695-AC00-BA4D83F1EA1E.jpeg
    5F489BA1-F51B-4695-AC00-BA4D83F1EA1E.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 69

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard that titanium version doesn’t last very long in a saltwater tank and requires frequent replacement of the whole
Unit, since you can’t just switch out the probe on that version.. just when I think I had decided on at least which version I would want.. you have given me something else to think about lol. Thanks for your response
I’ll save the time for you because I did a lot of research. Go with the Inkbird-308-Wifi with the plastic probes. It has heating and cooling and has the app controllability for the cost of the non wifi one on Amazon. Just recently got one new for $35. Buy them on eBay, they’re a lot cheaper there. Also have no regrets. They’re great. My temperature used to fluctuate a lot and now its always in the right range. If you don’t need a cooler/fan, there’s another model, can’t remember the name, but it’s $53 on Amazon and it’s one of the blue ones, I remember that.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4166AE82-FA74-48C1-8C1B-9032B393A657.jpeg
23F1EEC6-13FC-4299-8DA5-1D2AC2E0CC82.jpeg

Here’s my Biocube 32. It’s had its ups and downs, but it’s slowly coming together. I have a Midas Blenny and a Royal gramma and plan to get a clownfish, sixline wrasse, and a cleaner shrimp. I currently don’t do water changes and only dose. I use BRS 2 part and use GFO for phosphate removal and the Coralife Protein Skimmer v2 on a timer for nitrate removal. I have 3 astrea snails (had 8 but for some reason they’re dying off), 8 trochus, and I had a tiger conch (which recently died to starvation two days ago. Tip: Don’t put big conches in a Biocube unless your sandbed is algae and not sand lol). Really sad loss since he was a great character, but he will be remembered. My torch coral bleached due to temperature being 81 for 3 weeks. Highly recommend Inkbird 308 wifi from above comment. I don’t know how I did Reefing without it. I recently got 21LEDUSA supplemental blue lighting to the Biocube stock lighting. It is still gradually ramping up, so I can’t post any before and after pictures, but I’ll have a video about them on my YouTube channel in a few months (link in signature). I got them because the white lights were a little too white for me, and now it looks so much better. I didn’t want to go with Steve’s because I don’t have that much money to drop on new lighting and keeping the hood was essential. $50 was a lot cheaper than $400, so I went with 21LEDUSA strips, and that was definitely worth it.

stephydawn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only comment about the goby and the pistol depends on whether you like a neat tank. Our tank came with a pair.. my husband LOVES them. And I admit they are cool. HOWEVER the pistol is constantly rearranging the left side of my tank and throwing and shifting sand everywhere. This is has my OCD in full blown eye twitch.. hahaha JK but it will affect what corals I can add or not be able to add over there once I’m ready.
Good to know , thank you. Lovely tank!

OP
OP
xtravism

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love my six line and out of the other fish I would go with a green chromis and I wouldn’t do damsels they can be ***** and nip things including you when you put your hand in.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23F1EEC6-13FC-4299-8DA5-1D2AC2E0CC82.jpeg

Here’s my Biocube 32. It’s had its ups and downs, but it’s slowly coming together. I have a Midas Blenny and a Royal gramma and plan to get a clownfish, sixline wrasse, and a cleaner shrimp. I currently don’t do water changes and only dose. I use BRS 2 part and use GFO for phosphate removal and the Coralife Protein Skimmer v2 on a timer for nitrate removal. I have 3 astrea snails (had 8 but for some reason they’re dying off), 8 trochus, and I had a tiger conch (which recently died to starvation two days ago. Tip: Don’t put big conches in a Biocube unless your sandbed is algae and not sand lol). Really sad loss since he was a great character, but he will be remembered. My torch coral bleached due to temperature being 81 for 3 weeks. Highly recommend Inkbird 308 wifi from above comment. I don’t know how I did Reefing without it. I recently got 21LEDUSA supplemental blue lighting to the Biocube stock lighting. It is still gradually ramping up, so I can’t post any before and after pictures, but I’ll have a video about them on my YouTube channel in a few months (link in signature). I got them because the white lights were a little too white for me, and now it looks so much better. I didn’t want to go with Steve’s because I don’t have that much money to drop on new lighting and keeping the hood was essential. $50 was a lot cheaper than $400, so I went with 21LEDUSA strips, and that was definitely worth it.
I'm definitely super interested in other economical lighting options besides Steves LED. Taking the lid off for us just really isn't an option based our household ATM. Can wait for you to post that info on your channel :).

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely super interested in other economical lighting options besides Steves LED. Taking the lid off for us just really isn't an option based our household ATM. Can wait for you to post that info on your channel :).
I’ll try to remember to come back to this thread to let you know ;). Some of my zoas are a little ticked off right now because I was increasing the speed too quickly, so I have to slow it down a little. I’ll share these clips for now to show you what the difference between regular lighting and with these strips at 100%. Unsure if these will play but it’s worth a shot. First video is daylights, second is sunrise/sunset, third is blues.

colejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ve
I have been thinking of doing the exact same thing. How did you mount the LED strips and how many did you use? Much appreciated.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking of doing the exact same thing. How did you mount the LED strips and how many did you use? Much appreciated.
I used two 12 inch strips. I mounted each one with strong double sided tape. I believe the 21LEDs are waterproof just in case something may happen. I vertically mounted one on the top of the LED panel and another one at the bottom of the panel where the light section ends and the black part of the panel starts. That way, there is good enough spread, and I find 12 inches to be good enough. Also, follow the buying instructions on the website, because they’re weird if you want to buy two strips. Buy two strips, a power supply, and a beamworks dimmer off of eBay (supposedly the ones that come with those 21LEDs aren’t the best).

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stock lights grow things fine. No upgrade needed

OP
OP
xtravism

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a xr15 today for my tank. Like the stock hood grows stuff just not as good colors it gives corals.

colejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two 12 inch strips. I mounted each one with strong double sided tape. I believe the 21LEDs are waterproof just in case something may happen. I vertically mounted one on the top of the LED panel and another one at the bottom of the panel where the light section ends and the black part of the panel starts. That way, there is good enough spread, and I find 12 inches to be good enough. Also, follow the buying instructions on the website, because they’re weird if you want to buy two strips. Buy two strips, a power supply, and a beamworks dimmer off of eBay (supposedly the ones that

I used two 12 inch strips. I mounted each one with strong double sided tape. I believe the 21LEDs are waterproof just in case something may happen. I vertically mounted one on the top of the LED panel and another one at the bottom of the panel where the light section ends and the black part of the panel starts. That way, there is good enough spread, and I find 12 inches to be good enough. Also, follow the buying instructions on the website, because they’re weird if you want to buy two strips. Buy two strips, a power supply, and a beamworks dimmer off of eBay (supposedly the ones that come with those 21LEDs aren’t the best).
Does the ebay item act as a timer/controller?

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering revamping my filtration a bit. Currently have the inTank basket and fuge, but want to expand the fuge a bit. I’d like to entirely remove both baskets, remove my MarinePure balls and put them on the bottom of chamber 2. I’d then run the entire rest of the space as a fuge, instead of the small confines of an inTank fuge. Will still utilize the flow director and my buddy is potentially 3D printing a filter floss holder. I’ll add a second IM Chaetomax 9w or just purchase an 18w. My current fuge setup pulls quite a bit of NO3 and PO4, I’m just trying to be able to remove my media reactor that’s hanging off the side of the tank. What’s everyone’s thoughts on it? Here’s a quick rendering…

Attachments

• F2B44C72-AB26-4945-8543-E25E8FEAFBE4.jpeg
    F2B44C72-AB26-4945-8543-E25E8FEAFBE4.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 79

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BC32 setup- change maybe 4 gallons every 3-4 weeks. I feed heavily and rely on a GFO reactor and a fuge to keep my PO4 in check, but my system processes NO3 very efficiently, I need to dose ESV NO3. To offset lack of water changes I dose ESV B-Ionic Transition Elements daily and Aquavitro Fuel twice weekly, on top of BRS 2 part.
Power strip came in the mail today!! Couldn’t wait to get it set up. Still have to add labels and hook up the inkbird.. thanks again for the idea! Excuse the dirty glass. I was too excited and couldn’t wait to take a photo.

Attachments

• 1A9E0F89-DF92-40DF-A4E0-0EAD4DEB828A.jpeg
    1A9E0F89-DF92-40DF-A4E0-0EAD4DEB828A.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 72

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a loaded question and all depends on stock, feeding schedule, dosing method, etc etc… But as very general advice, starting out I would stick with once a week to make sure you’re replenishing you’re system with trace elements and reducing nutrient levels until you get to know your system better.
Yup I can't get a straight answer. I was going 10% weekly and it was too much. 0 nitrates and phosphates constantly. Had to start dosing. I'm going on 1 month no water change and still having to dose. Doesn't matter how much I feed my fish and coral. Daily testing and all my levels are bang on for what I want, besides the nitrate and po4. Definetly gonna have to look Into some dosing pumps for it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back