320g build/journey/experiment :-)

when soldering copper use mapp gas (MG9) burns 3600 degrees, works great, in the yellow bottle @ the hardware store
 
also not sure if you are using soldering paste, but you coat the fittings and the pipe on the soldering edges and it helps the solder bond to the copper

it like AEFW to ACRO'S
 
This going to be a very sweet build.
Thanks for bringing it to Reef 2 Reef.
I love following build threads. It is the best way to get new ideas or insperation.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve
 
This going to be a very sweet build.
Thanks for bringing it to Reef 2 Reef.
I love following build threads. It is the best way to get new ideas or insperation.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

Welcome aboard I try and document every thing I can as best as possible if you are interested in having more details about anything just ask :D

Here is my DIY rock in the ocean and laid out on my lawn.
Rocksinocean.jpg

Haulingrock.jpg

Boatofrocks.jpg


The rock in her hands is the one she made :D

Liawithrocks.jpg
 
Great build and welcome to R2R......That rock you made looks great....A lot more in the last pic then what looked like was there in the pics of it in the kiddie pool and other pics....What a great way to cycle the rock too...Let mother nature do it...
 
WWOOOOWWWWWWWWWW SO AWESOME!!!
You're doing great!
Please keep us updated :D
Thanks,
As things progress I will post... may be a few days though as I am waiting on some parts in the mail...

Great build and welcome to R2R......That rock you made looks great....A lot more in the last pic then what looked like was there in the pics of it in the kiddie pool and other pics....What a great way to cycle the rock too...Let mother nature do it...
Thanks, Yes the last post has all of the rock I made and the previous pics were from batches (I made it over several weeks) I didn't actually cycle the rock... I let the rock cure/leach out all the lime and other chemicals that are not entirely reef safe.
 
Well this is me soldering the pipe to the aluminum plate (to fill in gaps and help with heat transfer) It's kinda messy but a little cleaning and it won't look too bad... plus it will be on the side nobody can see :D
SolderingHeatSink.jpg
 
This is a cool acrylic top I saw on someone's set-up so I got some mesh from a guy in the states (if your watching this feel free to post a link to your thread).
I ordered my acrylic... and like my glass nobody wants to give me what I want (they say it's too hard/too much work/they can't do it cause it shatters at that width)... so I buy a saw and an 80 dollar blade and cut it myself (at 1/2" in width there was not even a chip). Then I put it all together.
The saw and the pieces I cut.
Sawwithacrylic.jpg


The first step is to make the bottom rectangle. If you notice the piece that I put on top of the box is the full width. Making the boxes staggered like that helps to avoid weak spots.
Arylicbox.jpg


Then you stretch the mesh on the one side and glue/clamp the top piece on.
Attatchingmesh.jpg


Then you pull the mesh tight to the other side and stretch it width wise at the same time (difficult to do solo without the right tools).
Twosidesmesh.jpg


The you do either side pulling it tight (you may get some mild warping) then put the tabs on to make sure it doesn't fall into your tank.
Installed.jpg
 
Looks great man....Funny how we can go to a business and ask for some type of service and get treated like we are an inconvienace....Then in like your situation you get the stuff do it yourself without an issue.....Instead of making money and doing it for you they wanted to be lazy
 
I think they didn't want to charge extra for the extra time it takes to cut them properly. Plus they have been really busy the last couple of weeks.
 
I got my LED's today... That was crazy fast... anyways here they are. :D


90 20 watt Drivers
Drivers.jpg



90 20 watt LED's
90LEDs.jpg


A closeup of the LED's the top left is white the top right is blue and the bottom is warm white. If you look closely you can see the 20 individual dies on each chip.
LEDcolors.jpg
 
This is a diagram of how I plan on placing my lights on the aluminum sheet (I did it in paint... I know it sucks but it gets the point across). What do you guys think?
LEDdesignlayout.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new