32Biocube to 40Breeder

MrDeathKills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will be doing a tank transfer and I would like to know what you all think is the best and safest way to do this.

What I need to do is move my 32 biocube from its current spot so that the new 40 Breeder can go in its place. Then I need to transfer my 32cube inhabits to the 40B. My wife wants to start over with fish so hopefully that day we would be selling the fish to locals. I will be moving rock, snails, conches, shrimp, crabs and all sorts of inverts. My 32cube has been up for about 15months, I have been hearing to just forgot about the old sand and start new. Is this what others have found to be true?
My thinking is halfway empty my tank move rocks into buckets move the tank place the 40B fill it with as much old tank water as possible then replace the rock.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will be doing a tank transfer and I would like to know what you all think is the best and safest way to do this.

What I need to do is move my 32 biocube from its current spot so that the new 40 Breeder can go in its place. Then I need to transfer my 32cube inhabits to the 40B. My wife wants to start over with fish so hopefully that day we would be selling the fish to locals. I will be moving rock, snails, conches, shrimp, crabs and all sorts of inverts. My 32cube has been up for about 15months, I have been hearing to just forgot about the old sand and start new. Is this what others have found to be true?
My thinking is halfway empty my tank move rocks into buckets move the tank place the 40B fill it with as much old tank water as possible then replace the rock.
Supposedly, you CAN use the old sand if you give it a solid rinse. Search these forums for Rip Clean, I can't speak to its merits, I know @brandon429 can and likely will now that I tagged him here. I personally just use new sand, but the Rip Clean method dictates you rinse ALL sand prior to use (something I do not do but have seen it work in the Rip Clean thread(s) )

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using the same old rock from the prior setup the new tank will skip cycle as the bacteria adhered to them rides over just fine. The choice comes down to sand rinsing in two ways: if you want cloudless perfectly clear water on day one in the new setup, follow rinse instructions here below. If you don't want guaranteed cloud free water then skip pre rinsing as the majority do.

Using all new fish from a source that doesn't quarantine introduces a massive disease risk to the new setup per posts in the disease forum, that's a variable to consider in the swap coming

That post covers lots of planning, looks like that poster is opting to skip pre rinsing step.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back