34 gal Red Sea Reefer 170 build

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and checking out my build Mark! I am following a plan that is different from the "norm" outlined in @brandon429 's microbiology of cycling a reef tank thread. I encourage everyone to read it. It is loaded with helpful information.
I will read that as I’m keen to learn myself and I’m sure there’s more than one way to go. From my own experiences the ‘cycle’ of algae would have been a bit harder to handle had there been corals in the tank but perhaps everyone’s ‘journey’ is different.

OP
OP
R&SLreef

R&SLreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking good 41 days in. Corals seem pretty happy. Small diatoms outbreak still but nothing too bad.

OP
OP
R&SLreef

R&SLreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Tank has been going for almost 5 months.
Picked up a couple clowns about a month ago. Some brownish red algae growing, nothing out of control and am confident I can pull the rocks abd scrub if need be. I try and do weekly 10% WC but sometimes goes longer. Most of my SPS frags didn't make it. I think partly because of me moving them to find their happy place and partly because of the crabs constantly picking at them and knocking them over. I'm considering having no crabs or maybe one or 2.

OP
OP
R&SLreef

R&SLreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newest pic

0821201212~2.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back